FBI Director Urges New Encryption Legislation

• 17 October 2014
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I like probably most people have nothing to hide from the authorities, it is the crims which are of most concern BUT I doubt things can be tightened without blocking access when needed to the authorities.

10/16/2014  Sara Peters

"Though encryption is one of the strongest tools in the data security and privacy compliance toolkit, unchecked encryption could "lead us all to a very, very dark place," in which murderers, child abusers, and other criminals walk free, according to FBI Director James Comey.
"The place that this is leading us is one that I would suggest we shouldn't go without careful thought and public debate," Comey said at an event at the Brookings Institute in Washington.
He was responding to new moves by Apple and Google to expand encryption capabilities on iOS and Android devices. Google has announced it will provide data encryption by default in its next version of Android. Apple recently added two-factor authentication to iCloud and has created new encryption offerings on iOS 8 that give the encryption keys to the customer -- the idea being that, if Apple does not retain the keys, it cannot decrypt customers' data, even if the government demands it."

Full Article

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
When the government abuses their warrant privileges, then they get taken away.  It's like putting toddlers in time out 🙂