FBI: Er, no, we won't reveal how we unmask and torpedo Tor pedos

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
And why should they? They cannot do their jobs with their hands tied around their backs.
If people go to these sites they have to expect to come under suspicion.

No NIT software exploit code for you

29 Mar 2016 at 20:12, Iain Thomson The FBI is refusing to hand over details of the software it used to track and unmask anonymous viewers of a child sex abuse websites. The Feds said the details are irrelevant to the case.

In February of 2015, the FBI seized the servers running a dark-web pedophile website called Playpen, described as the largest archive of its kind. Rather than shut it down immediately, the FBI kept it running for two weeks on the Tor network, but installed server-side software that would somehow worm its way into perverts' PCs and report back their real public IP addresses and MAC addresses to the government.

The software would also generate a serial number unique to the infected computer and send that back to investigators, so that if the PC changed its public IP address, it could still be linked to previous addresses.

Full Article

3 replies

Userlevel 7
I second this position "don't tie the hands of the FBI" they need leeway in order to do their job and to be able to expose the criminals and activities going on.
Userlevel 7
I think that it is (a) a question of faith...do we have faith in the Security Services to do their jobs properly & (b) do we want them to win or forever be chasing the bad guys?

It is up to us, the public, to decide our own fate in that respect...and I am really worried about the reasoning of some of my fellow humans when it comes to this. :(
Userlevel 7
Badge +54

49 kids rescued so far

13 Jan 2017 at 22:26, Iain Thomson

An administrator of Playpen – the notorious dark-web trading post of child sex abuse material – has been jailed for 20 years and faces a lifetime of parole.

Michael Fluckiger, 46, of Portland, Indiana, was arrested on March 4, 2015 and pled guilty to helping run the Playpen website, which was taken over by the FBI and used to ensnare other perverts. Fluckiger was sentenced to 240 months behind bars, along with lifetime supervised release, for engaging in a child exploitation enterprise.

Fluckiger, along with two co-conspirators, ran Playpen from servers located in Lenoir, North Carolina from August 2014 to February 2015. According to a statement [pdf] by an FBI agent, Fluckiger was heavily involved in running the site, including removing material that was hosted on servers that were considered unsafe, setting up logo competitions for child abuse images, and encouraging users to create more original content.

Full Article