FTC cracks down on hacked video camera maker

• 6 September 2013
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
From CNNMoney:

"It's the first time the FTC has turned its attention to a growing trend, often referred to as the "Internet of Things." In an increasingly connected world, people are able to link up many devices to the Internet. You can unlock a door via smartphone or monitor your child from afar, for example. But as more companies push for connected devices, security researchers say proper safety mechanisms are sometimes overlooked."

Full Article

There has been quite a few discussions here on the Community recently about connected devices and how even everyday and mundane items are now becoming internet connected and what the hack potential might be.  Now for the first time, the FTC is taking notice, and action.

My own thought is that this is long overdue.  While the world of connected devices is still relatively small compared to what it is bound to become in the very very near future, such items and connectivity have been around for quite a while.  Connected devices are now becoming every day items for many instead of the "Geek Toys" that they were considered to be relatively recently.  With increased presence and acceptance brings increased opportunity for abuse.  

What do you think?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
I think a related problem we are going to start to see more of is that connecting a device to the internet is so easy and relatively cheap to do these days that a lot of manufacturers with little to no security experience are going to start cranking out things like this baby monitor. It's great the company issued a patch in this case, but what happens when a company sells thousands or hundreds of thousands of insecure devices and then goes out of business? Who updates the firmware then?
Userlevel 7
I think that is a mighty good question Jim!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
https://twitter.com/explanoit/status/375100183433867264
Userlevel 7
I finally had a chance to check that link Explanoit gave.

100% agree!