Facebook briefly takes over entire Internet with redirection bug

• 8 February 2013
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Devin Coldewey , NBC News
A bug with Facebook's ubiquitous embedded widgets redirected millions from the websites they were visiting to Facebook itself Thursday. It's now fixed, but for awhile, some of the largest sites in the world were inaccessible.
Visitors to such sites as CNN, The Washington Post, BuzzFeed, the Gawker network (including Gizmodo), and NBC News were instantly transferred to a Facebook error page upon loading the intended site.
Users not logged into Facebook did not get the error, which led people to conclude, correctly, that the problem was with the Facebook Connect service, which governs "likes," "comments" and other Web-based features of the social network.
Facebook declined to disclose the specifics of the error, but offered the following statement via email to NBC News:
For a short period of time, there was a bug that redirected people from third party sites with Facebook Login to Facebook.com. The issue was quickly resolved.

Full Article

TH

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Aa that essentially is a hijack, I wonder if there will be any legal repercussions, or if any of the affected sites will be considering removing the Facebook connection.  Maybe we need to worry more about Mr. Zuckerberg and less about Big Brother....
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Well, it was done with the consent of the website owner. They, on purpose, gave Facebook the ability to do this.

Users shouldn't be mad at Facebook. They should be mad at the website owners who allowed this to happen.
Userlevel 7
Facebook wants world domination!!! :S

I have a Facebook page, but have seriously thought about closing the account recently. If someone wants to message me or talk to me, I have email and a phone.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
If someone wants to message me or talk to me, I have email and a phone.
Exactly. I second you. No social account for me. My e-mail and phone is really enough to stay in touch. Moreover I can handle my mails from phone.