Fake Android Flash Player Hits Global Financial Institutions

• 9 December 2015
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
By Floser Bacurio, Wayne Chin Yick Low, Rommel Abraham D. Joven | December 09, 2015

Mobile banking is a convenient way for users to complete transactions anywhere and anytime. KPMG predicts that the mobile banking user base will grow to 1.8 billion by 2019. And, when money is involved, the bad guys always find creative ways to steal it. Now they are increasingly doing so on the Android platform in the same way they did for online banking on PCs. 

Just last week, the Association of Banks in Singapore (ABS) released an advisory on mobile banking malware infecting Android smartphones and the substantial rise in infection volumes. In our interest to take an in-depth look at this emerging threat, we found an Android malware that targets mobile banking apps.

Installation and Arrival

This mobile malware arrives on a smartphone as an app dropped by other mobile malware - a standalone app or an update downloaded unknowingly by users when visiting malicious sites.

Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Now with this article in mind, users must be cautious and aware on what is happening. From my point of view I would not do banking via mobile, your just looking for trouble.
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
@Antus67 wrote:
Now with this article in mind, users must be cautious and aware on what is happening. From my point of view I would not do banking via mobile, your just looking for trouble.
Couldn't agree more Antus. Using a mobile for banking transactions just doesn't feel right.

By contrast, I have never felt more secure with my PC setup though, mainly because of the excellent reviews that WSA's Identity Shield has obtained from MRG Effitas's tests. :D

Nemo