Flaws in php5 could cause crash or run programs on Ubuntu

• 14 September 2014
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
by Pierluigi Paganini on September 14th, 2014 http://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/ubuntu12-300x187.jpg 

Ubuntu has issued a security notice to inform users about flaws in php5 exploitable to crash or run programs if it received specially crafted network traffic.

According to the recent Ubuntu Security Notice php5 could be made to crash or run arbitrary code if it received specially crafted network traffic.
“Summary -php5 could be made to crash or run programs if it received specially crafted network traffic.” states the advisory.
The Security Notice was issued by for the first time by the vendor on 9th September, 2014 and it was coded as USN-2344-1.

Full Article

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +13
I enjoy stories like this.I am tired of reading and listening to testimony about how secure Linux and it's distros are.I have come across so much of this as i have been helping my wife with her classwork for her bachelor's in Web Design and Web development.It's my hope stories like this,and stories about issues on Apple platforms,drive developers toward a security first approach in development.SO much code is rushed these days.Security and good coding is quite often an afterthought,in comparison with dealines,etc.Get things right the first time.Hackers have too much time on their hands,and will always be looking for ways to do their business.Let's not make their job easy.