Following revelations on Paris attacks, US lawmakers target burner phones

• 30 March 2016
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
March 30, 2016  By Pierluigi Paganini

Paris terrorists used burner phones and US lawmakers have proposed a bill that would force retailers to record the identity of the buyers of these devices.

Law enforcement and intelligence agencies worldwide are fighting against terrorist organizations operating in their territories, but investigations are hampered by the use of encrypted communications. After the Paris attacks, intelligence agencies made many speculations about possible communication channels adopted by the terrorists, including the use of the PS4 messaging system.

New revelations seem to exclude the above hypothesis, terrorists behind the Paris attacks used burner phones and not encryption to avoid being tracked.

Full Article

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Good point made on these burner phones, record all data on the individual that is purchasing these phones, making sure serial number is recorded for future reference.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@Antus67 wrote:
Good point made on these burner phones, record all data on the individual that is purchasing these phones, making sure serial number is recorded for future reference.
I am not 100% sure how efficient it will be. They can record as much info as they want but until a crime is committed the terrorists are pretty safe and by the time of the crime it is too late. Plus, they are likely to use false identification if they have to.
It will be helpful with to catch some criminals though but we will have to wait and see what the results are.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Well, I am sure this is a step in the right direction. Even if as you said it is too little too late for terrorist charges, it may be a stepping stone to stronger regulations on the devices. Still I am surprised at the Sony Playstation chat system, the mobile app is unreliable at best, but puts other social platforms in the spotlight for tighter monitoring.
Userlevel 7
Another red herring to chase in my humble opinion...it just seems that ceertain authorities seem to find a flavour of the month; in this case burner phones, and then pursue it like 'the proverbial dog with a bone'.

I just hope that they are not stupid enough to thin kthat burner phones are only used by terrorists?