GCHQ hacking does not breach human rights, security tribunal rules

• 12 February 2016
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
As I have said before in other similar topics, this is not really a simple yes or no thing. Although I agree we need privacy etc I also think that the authorities do need to be able to gain access to some accounts, it is how they prevent terrorist attacks and catch the crims. However I also think that there should be strict safeguards to prevent abuse of the system.

Investigatory powers tribunal says CNE activities, such as activating cameras on devices without permission, are legal

Friday 12 February 2016By Owen Bowcott 

Hacking of computers, networks and smartphones in the UK or abroad by GCHQ staff does not breach human rights, a security tribunal has ruled.

A panel of five members of the investigatory powers tribunal decided on Friday that computer network exploitation (CNE), which may involve remotely activating microphones and cameras on electronic devices without the owners’ knowledge, is legal.

In a lengthy judgment, the IPT, which deals with complaints about surveillance and the intelligence services, found in favour of the Cheltenham-based monitoring agency and the Foreign Office. It dismissed complaints brought by the campaign group Privacy International and seven internet service providers from around the world.

Full Article

1 reply

Userlevel 7
I'm in total agreement with you Jeff on your assessment of this article and how GCHQ hacking should be approached however with monitored and strict safeguards.