Google pays $75K in bug bounties to fix 159 Chrome flaws

• 8 October 2014
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7

By Gregg Keize
Computerworld | Oct 8, 2014 3:49 AM PT

Google yesterday released Chrome 38, paying out more than $75,000 in bounties for some of the 159 vulnerabilities patched in the massive security update.

Also, contrary to what Google said in August but in line with its change-of-mind last month, Chrome 38 remained a 32-bit application on OS X, the operating system for Apple's Mac line.
Of the 159 bugs quashed in Chrome 38, 113 -- or 71% -- were "relatively minor fixes," according to Google. Those vulnerabilities had been found using MemorySanitizer, a Google-made tool for sniffing out memory initialization flaws.
Some of the other vulnerabilities were more significant, and produced impressive bounties awarded for their discoverers.

ComputerWorld/ Article/ http://www.computerworld.com/article/2692410/google-pays-75k-in-bug-bounties-to-fix-159-chrome-flaws.html

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Good for them!  I think this model of distributed payment is the future of this sort of open source development.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Good for them!  I think this model of distributed payment is the future of this sort of open source development.
I couldn't have said it any better myself @