Google strips private medical data from searches

• 26 June 2017
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
26th June 2017  by John E Dunn

Google has quietly amended its search engine indexing to exclude past and present personal medical data for the first time.
It’s a deceptively straightforward change the company describes in its data removal policy homepage as relating to “confidential, personal medical records of private people.”

The shock of this – which perhaps also explains why it is being sneaked in as a single line of text on a help page very few people visit – is that Google’s search engine would index such a sensitive category of data in the first place.

Full Article.

2 replies

Badge +8
Hi Jasper,

I firmly believe that we have entered the world of Big Brother. Remember George Orwell's 1984??? Well we are there and it is a very scary place. Everything we do is on someone's server someplace. There are no longer secrets kept. Your life is an open book. (with regards to what you and others connected to you have posted anywhere in the www)

Nothing astounds me much anymore.:(

Theresa
Userlevel 7
Hi Jasper

Thanks for bring this to our attention. As you say it is NOT what they have done now but rather what they have done now reverses.

Unfortunately, in many cases such things are openly (after a fashion) advised but so indistinctly that they might as well have not bothered. I suspetc thats there are many, many more such instances out there...that we do not know about. :(

Baldrick