HSBC Financial Corp. notifies mortgage customers of online breach

• 15 April 2015
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
14th April 2015

HSBC Finance Corporation has begun notifying an undisclosed number of consumers whose mortgage account information was inadvertently exposed on the Internet. The firm believes the exposure began sometime towards the end of 2014  and continued until March 27, 2015, when they learned of the breach.
The breach affected customers of the firm’s subsidiaries, including Beneficial Financial I, Inc., Beneficial Homeowner Service Corporation, Beneficial Maine, Inc., Beneficial Massachusetts, Inc., Beneficial New Hampshire, Inc., Household Finance Corporation II, Household Finance Corporation of Alabama, Household Financial Center, Inc., and Household Realty Corporation.

Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
By Ionut Ilascu    15 Apr 2015

At least 1,000 individuals are impacted by the incident

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/fitted/340x180/HSBC-Finance-Corporation-Exposes-Mortgage-Account-Info.jpg

Financial services company HSBC Finance Corporation made available online personal information of customers with a mortgage account.

The incident became known to the company on March 27, but the data may have been available to anyone with an Internet connection since late last year.

People in multiple states are affected

Although there are no details on how the leak was possible, HSBC says that it was not the result of a deliberate action and that measures have been taken to strengthen the security protocols in order to avoid such events.

Full Article
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Posted on 16 April 2015. A breach notification letter sent to the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office by the HSBC Finance Corporation has revealed that sensitive mortgage information of customers of a number of its subsidiaries has been potentially compromised.

The subsidiaries in question are Beneficial Financial I, Inc., Beneficial Homeowner Service Corporation, Beneficial Maine, Inc., Beneficial Massachusetts, Inc., Beneficial New Hampshire, Inc., Household Finance Corporation II, Household Finance Corporation of Alabama, Household Financial Center, Inc., and Household Realty Corporation. Full Article