Hacker Or Military? Best Of Both In Cyber Security

• 21 August 2014
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 7
By:John B. Dickson/ Posted on 8/21/2014

How radically different approaches play out across the security industry.
Three things happened to me before BlackHat 2014 to bring the entire NSA / Edward Snowden drama back to the forefront. The media reminded us of the one-year anniversary of the original Snowden leaks. At the same time, I saw newly retired General Keith Alexander deliver a keynote at the Gartner Security and Privacy Summit where he provided an in-depth post-NSA speech, benefiting from several months of civilian life under his belt.
In June, I also hiked to the summit of Mount Snowdon in North Wales after speaking at AppSec EU in Cambridge, UK. The spelling is different, but I could not help but loop “Snowden/Snowdon” in my mind a thousand times on the way up and down the mountain. I could only shake my head…
Much has been written about the Snowden affair, including some of my own thoughts about the impact on the security community. I also had some tongue-in-cheek fun at Black Hat 2013, when General Alexander delivered his memorable speech. Black Hat 2013 showed me how differently members of the security community reacted to General Alexander: A third of the way through the General’s speech, the ex-hacker sitting next to me, dressed in jeans and a black t-shirt with a clever security quote, stood up and shouted “Bulls$*#!” He effectively scared the aforementioned expletive out of me and sent all eyes our way.

DarkReading/ full article here/ http://www.darkreading.com/operations/careers-and-people/hacker-or-military-best-of-both-in-cyber-security-/a/d-id/1298165?

0 replies

Be the first to reply!