Hackers Can Easily 3D Print Your House Keys Now

• 18 January 2016
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
By Gary Cutlack on 18 Jan 2016

http://media.gizmodo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/keysforge-460x259.jpg

A development in the 3D printing and hacking and burglary fields should make it easier than ever for someone to break into your house, eat your food, poo in your sink then leave, with a new system promising the ability to 3D print a blank door key ready for shaping by simply scanning a photo of a lock.

That's the claim of the KeysForge system, which, even if only fed a basic smartphone resolution image, is apparently able to make a passable stab at backwards-working the structure of the lock and fashioning a CAD file to be 3D printed in the material of your choosing.

Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Maybe they can use it keys from the stoneage but to be honest i want t see them do that on  complex key / lock system.
Sorry but i don't know the proper name of systems like this in english so i'll just post an image of the type of key i'm referring to....

I have strong doubts about it. They state basic phone quality picture of what? The lock or the key.If you have time to picture the key you have time to steal it. Note that i'm not making publicity here for that brand. Just don't know the right word and an image was easier

Userlevel 7
Just opens up a whole new market and a whole new set of must have gadgets and hardware...which will make someone a lot of money. ;)