Hackers attempt to break into UK MPs' email accounts, Houses of Parliament targeted by cyber attack

• 24 June 2017
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Houses of Parliament lock down IT systems.

Graham Cluley June 24, 2017

The Guardian reports that the British Houses of Parliament were targeted yesterday by hackers who attempted to break into email accounts of MPs and their staff.

The team responsible for securing the Houses of Parliament's IT systems are said to have taken steps to block hackers from accessing accounts, but this apparently has blocked MPs from remotely accessing email inboxes.
The Guardian quoted an email which it claimed had been sent to affected users:

Full Article.

2 replies

Badge +8
Will this ever end??? Life used to be so much simpler. Part of my getting furious with these hackers is that I never thought that I would live this long.:D And yet, here I am!

Theresa

Userlevel 7
Hi Jaspar, thanks for posting.

I caught this on the news and have to say that I am not surprised, and suspect that it is only the tip of the iceberg both in the UK and elsewhere and it is only because of who was the target that it has been reported.

There have been previous & similar 'attacks' oc Angela Merkel, and other leaders and I suspect that day in day out other governement agency heads in many countries are being subjected to this sortof thing...sometimes successfully but mostly, and thankfully, unsuccessfully.

Regards, Baldrick