High-severity bugs in 25 Symantec/Norton products imperils millions

• 29 June 2016
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
This is a big one, very nasty.

If you use a Symantec or Norton product, now would be a good time to update.

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2016/06/symantec-640x424.jpg

by Dan Goodin (US) - Jun 29, 2016

Much of the product line from security firm Symantec contains a raft of vulnerabilities that expose millions of consumers, small businesses, and large organizations to self-replicating attacks that take complete control of their computers, a researcher warned Tuesday.

"These vulnerabilities are as bad as it gets," Tavis Ormandy, a researcher with Google's Project Zero, wrote in a blog post. "They don’t require any user interaction, they affect the default configuration, and the software runs at the highest privilege levels possible. In certain cases on Windows, vulnerable code is even loaded into the kernel, resulting in remote kernel memory corruption."

Full Article

4 replies

Userlevel 7
HA!!!!  Norton at its finest.................messed up again now users need to scramble to protect their pc.
Userlevel 7
Wow, they are messing up big time! Maybe it's time for a new CEO again! :S
Userlevel 7
Yes, so they have messed up again but I suspect that this is in part due to them trying to integrate too much of what they have recently acquired into their application...one can only do so much of that before there is a knock on effect...most probably they need to do a complete code review/restart to make it leaner programatically, which is what Webroot did when they purchased PrevX.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
Yes, so they have messed up again but I suspect that this is in part due to them trying to integrate too much of what they have recently acquired into their application...one can only do so much of that before there is a knock on effect...most probably they need to do a complete code review/restart to make it leaner programatically, which is what Webroot did when they purchased PrevX.
You are probably right there Baldrick but I cannot see Norton becoming leaner. They need something to fill those CD ROMs which is what will hold there huge programs. I doubt that they could ever be as lean as Webroot 😉