Home Depot Investigating Potential Breach

• 2 September 2014
  • 37 replies

Userlevel 7
Just when you thought the the worst breaches were behind us (looking at you, Target 2013)...here we go again? 

According to various reports, like this one from TechCrunch, Home Depot has said that it's "investigating some unusual activity with regards to its customer data".

Security Reporter Brian Krebs says this definitely means a credit card breach, reporting that multiple banks are saying they're seeing evidence the the popular home improvement store may be the source of a "massive new batch of stolen credit and debit cards that went on sale this morning the the cybercrime underground."

We'll be keeping an eye on this developing story. 

(Source: TechCrunch) 

37 replies

Userlevel 7
Good article YegorP.....Home Depot is quite large as we all know this breach could be quite damaging depending on how many credit cards were stolen.
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
Will definitely have to keep an eye on my wife's Home Depot card,as well as continue to monitor her credit report.I haven't puchased anything there in person in over a year.I've only purchased a few things through their website over these last few months.I am hoping,for our sakes,this is just simply related to the POS terminals.Either way,we will be prepared.May just cancel the card as it's barely ever used.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Webrooters!

Another Breach and I'm sure it won't be the last. I had to cancel my Target Card as well but I had them issue a new one. I only used it once in a year at Christmas time and I picked the wrong time to get my 5% discount!:@

So I hope its like you say superssijan that its only at the POS terminals!
Userlevel 7
Thanks Yegor!  What astonished me is that more and more of the larger stores have done little to improve/enhance their security,  I mean, seriously after Heartbleed and the Target breach you would hope they'd have their systems locked down.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
An update from Brian Krebs:

03 Sep 14

New data gathered from the cybercrime underground suggests that the apparent credit and debit card breach at Home Depot involves nearly all of the company’s stores across the nation.
Evidence that a major U.S. retailer had been hacked and was leaking card data first surfaced Monday on the cybercrime store rescator[dot]cc, the shop that was principally responsible for selling cards stolen in the Target, Sally Beauty, P.F. Chang’s and Harbor Freight credit card breaches.

Full Article
Userlevel 7
Target, Home Depot who's next? I think I'll make it a practice now to go to my bank and withdraw money for the week to pay for things that we buy in stores. It's getting to the point where you can't trust the plastic card anymore.
Btw we don't shop at Home Depot anymore since they lowered the discount to Active and Retired Military. We shop at Lowes.
Military Discount all stores:
Lowes: First $5,000.00 -- 10% discount = $500.00 off
Home Depot: First $500.00 -- 10% discount = $50.00 off.

Home Depot was the same as Lowes until the change about a year ago.
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
I would hope with all these breaches at major retailers,people might begin to change their way of thinking,and start paying cash at every opportunity.I'd like to see retailers encourage cash payment by maybe a miniscule discount,maybe equivalent to 50% of what they would have paid for a swipe.The retailer would still come out ahead in that case.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I would hope with all these breaches at major retailers,people might begin to change their way of thinking,and start paying cash at every opportunity.I'd like to see retailers encourage cash payment by maybe a miniscule discount,maybe equivalent to 50% of what they would have paid for a swipe.The retailer would still come out ahead in that case.
All the stores don't want to give up all that valuable marketing info though :)

That reminds me - if you're ever at a store that has a loyalty card that lets you use a phone number if you don't have your card on you, just use 867-5309 (with any area code) and it will work.  
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
That reminds me - if you're ever at a store that has a loyalty card that lets you use a phone number if you don't have your card on you, just use 867-5309 (with any area code) and it will work.  
Thanks nic, I'll have to try that out. 😉
That sound useful I have to try that one out, Ever since the target hack i have been buying stuff by cash, but one thing crossed my mind at the store if everyone uses the cash method then they will attack the banks and go for account numbers so my money really is not safe.
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
I would not be too concerned with banks,as far as monetary loss is concerned,as here in the us,our deposits are insured by the FDIC up to a certain amount.With credit cards,and dealing with those companies,it's like pulling teeth,even if you have fraud protetction.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Target, Home Depot who's next? I think I'll make it a practice now to go to my bank and withdraw money for the week to pay for things that we buy in stores. It's getting to the point where you can't trust the plastic card anymore.
Btw we don't shop at Home Depot anymore since they lowered the discount to Active and Retired Military. We shop at Lowes.
Military Discount all stores:
Lowes: First $5,000.00 -- 10% discount = $500.00 off
Home Depot: First $500.00 -- 10% discount = $50.00 off.

Home Depot was the same as Lowes until the change about a year ago.
Who's next is a great question... sadly, the answer is most likely anyone.

We all remember the sense of false security that Mac users ( sorry @ ) and others felt.  Spam, viruses, etc. were always a Windows / PC problem.  Well that sure changed, right? And still no one - well, most people it seems - wants to be "bothered" with taking a few extra steps and precautions to protect themselves and/or their investments.

I'm currently logged onto to a PC in the computer lab at school.  They're running IE9.  The Symantec Endpoint protection is using definitions from 2009!! 2009? Seriously, here's a fun project for someone in the community... How many viruses, PUAs, security breaches etc. have occured in the past 5 years? Short answer = ALOT!

At this point in time, IMHO, anyone that chooses NOT to be proactive in protecting their PC deserves whatever slow performance, data breach or blue screen of death that they get.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Gee thanks @  now I've got Tommy Tutone stuck in my head 😛
Userlevel 7
The following article is a update on Home Depot Breach

(Home Depot Credit Card Breach May Affect All U.S. Locations)

By Jeff Goldman  |  Posted September 05, 2014

According to investigative reporter Brian Krebs, an apparent credit card breach at Home Depot may impact customers at almost all of the company's approximately 2,200 stores nationwide.
On September 2, 2014, Krebs reported that sources at several banks had told him Home Depot stores may be the source of a massive new batch of stolen credit and debit card forums that had gone on sale that morning on an underground forum.
"There are signs that the perpetrators of this apparent breach may be the same group of Russian and Ukrainian hackers responsible for the data breaches at Target, Sally Beauty and P.F. Chang's, among others," Krebs wrote at the time, noting that the breach may extend as far back as late April or early May 2014 and could well be significantly larger than the Target breach in late 2013.

eSecurityPlanet/ full article here/ http://www.esecurityplanet.com/network-security/home-depot-credit-card-breach-may-affect-all-u.s.-locations.html

Userlevel 7

(BlackPOS Implicated in Unconfirmed Home Depot Breach)

By Sara Peters/ Posted on 9/8/2014

Presence of the malware hints that the perpetrators could be the same ones who breached Target.
 A new variant of the BlackPOS card-slurping point-of-sale malware was used in the still-unconfirmed data breach at Home Depot, sources close to the investigation told Brian Krebs of KrebsOnSecurity.
The presence of BlackPOS is one indicator that the culprits behind the suspected Home Depot attack might be the same people who used BlackPOS to lift 40 million payment card accounts from Target in December. Another indicator, according to Krebs, is that "cards apparently stolen from Home Depot shoppers first turned up for sale on Rescator.cc, the same underground cybercrime shop that sold millions of cards stolen in the Target attack."
Trend Micro first spotted the new BlackPOS variant, TSPY_MEMLOG.A, in the wild on Aug. 22. According to Trend Micro, "What's interesting about TSPY_MEMLOG.A is it disguises itself as an installed service of known [anti-virus] vendor software to avoid being detected and consequently, deleted in the infected PoS systems."

DarkReading/ full article here/ http://www.darkreading.com/blackpos-implicated-in-unconfirmed-home-depot-breach/d/d-id/1307028?

Userlevel 7
Looks like Home Depot finally admits its payment systems were breached. And it's been going on for months! From the TechCrunch article

"Six days later, the company has at last publicly confirmed that the “suspicious activity” was a breach of their payments system. Credit card data was exposed, though Home Depot is quick to note that PINs were not. If you used a credit card at Home Depot in the past 4-5 months, you should consider it stolen."

(Source: TechCrunch)

Userlevel 7
Badge +13
The good thing,is it appears,at the moment,purchases and info from web purchases were un-affected.Whew for the moment!I won't feel safe until the full fallout is known.
Userlevel 7
(The Home Depot acknowledges payment systems breach)
http://betanews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/hacker-credit-card-600x400.jpg
The Home Depot is the latest US retailer to fall victim to a major payment systems hack, which may have exposed its customers' credit card data since April of this year. The security breach is linked to its US and Canadian retail locations, but not its online store or Mexican chain.
The breach is publicly acknowledged by The Home Depot, with the company's CEO apologizing for what is yet another security disaster. "We apologize for the frustration and anxiety this causes our customers, and I want to thank them for their patience and support as we work through this issue", says Frank Blake. "We owe it to our customers to alert them that we now have enough evidence to confirm that a breach has indeed occurred. It's important to emphasize that no customers will be responsible for fraudulent charges to their accounts".
 To appease customers who may have been affected by the security breach, The Home Depot is giving those who used a payment card at its retail locations, after April 2014, identity protection services for free. This includes credit monitoring, according to the information provided by the company

betanews/ full article here/ http://betanews.com/2014/09/09/the-home-depot-acknowledges-payment-systems-breach/

Userlevel 7
**********************************************************************************************************************************************
The following article is another update on the Home Depot Breach
**********************************************************************************************************************************************
By Steve Ragan/ Posted on 9/9/2014

Here's a quick run down on the data breach that impacted debit and credit cards used at the world's largest home improvement retailer.

On Monday, Home Depot issued a public confirmation to reports that they had experienced a data breach impacting debit and credit cards.
They're the world's largest home improvement retailer, operating 2,266 stores in the U.S., as well as 10 Canadian provinces, so news that they were the next big business to be targeted by payment system malware caused immediate comparisons to the Target breach.
[ Prevent corporate data leaks with Roger Grimes' "Data Loss Prevention Deep Dive" PDF expert guide, only from InfoWorld. | Stay up to date on the latest security developments with InfoWorld's Security Central newsletter. ]

InfowWorld/ full article here/ http://www.infoworld.com/d/security/what-you-need-know-about-the-home-depot-data-breach-250101

Userlevel 7
Thanks Anthony!  Luckily I only used a.gift card on my latest visit 😉
Userlevel 7
The following article is another update on Home Depot Breach
(Home Depot and Target attackers likely not the same)

Author: Zeljka Zorz HNS Managing Editor/ Posted on 12 September 2014.

More details about the malware used in the Home Depot breach have surfaced, and it seems that, after all, it wasn't the one used in the Target breach (BlackPOS).

According to Trail of Bits CEO Dan Guido and another unnamed source familiar with the investigation, the malware used against Home Depot belongs to a different family of POS RAM scrapers: FrameworkPOS.

The malware has been dubbed thusly because it impersonates McAfee's antivirus agent. Event though Home Depot doesn't use McAfee products, this approach was successful as Target's security team was tricked into not paying attention to the malware.

There are other dissimilarities between the two malware families: the way and place they install themselves, their interaction with the OS, and the obfuscation techniques they use differ considerably.

Help Net Security/ full article here/ http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=17357
Userlevel 7

(Why retailers like Home Depot get hacked)

By Antone Gonsalves  Posted on 9/16/2014

Retailers like Home Depot, which recently suffered a major data breach, have known for years about vulnerabilities in payment systems, but have chosen to ignore them, experts say.
Home Depot decided only in January to buy technology that fully encrypts payment card data the moment a card is swiped, The Wall Street Journal reported Monday. The home improvement retailer launched the project in order to avoid a breach on the scale of Target's.

InforWorld/ full article here/ http://www.infoworld.com/article/2683915/security/why-retailers-like-home-depot-get-hacked.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
18 Sep 14

Home Depot said today that cyber criminals armed with custom-built malware stole an estimated 56 million debit and credit card numbers from its customers between April and September 2014. That disclosure officially makes the incident the largest retail card breach on record.

The disclosure, the first real information about the damage from a data breach that was initially disclosed on this site Sept. 2, also sought to assure customers that the malware used in the breach has been eliminated from its U.S. and Canadian store networks.

“To protect customer data until the malware was eliminated, any terminals identified with malware were taken out of service, and the company quickly put in place other security enhancements,” the company said via press release (PDF). “The hackers’ method of entry has been closed off, the malware has been eliminated from the company’s systems, and the company has rolled out enhanced encryption of payment data to all U.S. stores.”

Full Article

Userlevel 7
and now for your financial market news ;)

Home Depot: 56 million cards exposed in breach

Stolen credit card price tag: $102

By Melvin Backman@CNNTech
September 18, 2014: 5:56 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)

Home Depot confirmed Thursday that hackers exposed 56 million credit and debit cards during its months-long security breach.

The company also said it had eliminated the malware behind the attack from its payment systems.

Card readers that encountered the malware, which Home Depot said was a custom strain its security team had never seen before, were removed from service. The company is also beefing up its payment data encryption capabilities and other security measures.
[ Full story from CNN Money >> ]
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Webrooters!

Looks like I was in this Home Depot breach since I used my Bank Debit card buying house plants a month ago! Unbelievable, well maybe not now a days I guess you should use cash!
At least my bank acted pretty fast and has given me a new Debit Card with a letter saying a major retailer " may" have experienced a data breach compromising my Bank Visa card and my old card will be deactivated
the 30 of September which I've activated new one this morning!