Hospital’s Windows XP Computers Cause Chaos After Getting Infected with Virus

• 19 January 2016
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Royal Melbourne Hospital was still running Windows XP

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/fitted/340x180/hospital-s-windows-xp-computers-cause-chaos-after-getting-infected-with-virus.jpg

Jan 19, 2016 06:31 GMT  ·  By Bogdan Popa  Windows XP support came to an end in April 2014, but despite the numerous warnings issued by Microsoft, there still are a lot of companies that are yet to upgrade their computers.

The Royal Melbourne Hospital is one of them, and the network’s administrators found on their own how dangerous it is to run unsupported software when all Windows XP computers got infected with malware last week.

The virus first hit the hospital’s pathology department, so the staff had to manually perform a number of operations that were previously conducted automatically by Windows XP machines, including blood and tissue processing.

Full Article

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
😳 don't tell anyone from Webroot but i did find a few machines in our warehouse the other day that are too old even for Secure Anywhere ( and that one runs even on Windows XP ) :@ . Estimated time for detonation of those old boxes... anytime our new building is finished. In such a hospital environment it is ridiculous to keep such an old outdated system online. Someone should open a can of  you know what for the manager that made the decision to keep XP there...

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
There's a scary number of Windows XP machines still in production, including most ATMs and point of sale machines.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Nic in case you haven't dismantled ( i find that dismantling things can be highly relaxing in the office ) one yet know that some still run on W2K and not XP... and that's what i found in the warehouse... 20 carcasses running Windows 2000 and 5 of them still run. The rest are used for spare parts till we move. They date from an era where we still counted RAM in Kb's and not larger.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
There's a scary number of Windows XP machines still in production, including most ATMs and point of sale machines.
It is downright MORE than just scary, Nic, it is an absolute scandal, especially what some of the organisations running this dated OS do as their daily raison d'etre...and that is the scary bit.:S