How history's largest DDoS attack didn't break the internet

• 28 March 2013
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Yesterday, you may have heard (or read) about global internet slow-downs, which were the result of the largest Denial-of-Service (DDoS) attack in the history of the internet. The internet did slow (in certain places), but did the attack actually take the internet down? The answer is, it tried...unsuccesfully.

While CloudFare (the company that was chosen to help SpamHaus fend off the attacks) said that the attacks were so large that they caused outages for the London and Hong Kong Internet Exchanges, different reports suggest otherwise.

"But new reports, like one from VentureBeat, show that a check of different Internet monitoring services reveal that the disruption, while indeed large, did not actually cripple the Internet globally. Most of the congestion was in the U.K., Germany, and the Netherlands, which makes sense given where Spamhaus is based."

Also, despite and N.Y Times report mentioning that Netflix was affected, there were no confirmed outages and checks came up clean. The attacks stopped as of yesterday morning.

(Source: VentureBeat)

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks Yegor but I couldn't connect to Netflix at the time I posted to your last thread and I tried in an hour still couldn't but 3 hours later all was fine it could be a Coincidence. :D

TH
Userlevel 5
The Netflix thing seems to be the only thing that really suffered, so far the media blew everything way of out of proportion as usual.

As an European (from the Netherlands) I play a MMO on an US East Coast server, and I did not see any Latency increases beyond the usual levels.

If I hadn't heard about this on the news I wouldn't even have known about this.