IE easily beats Chrome, Firefox, Safari in malware detection

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Microsoft's combination of application reputation technology and URL filtering gave Internet Explorer a malware block rate that blew pass Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Apple Safari.
The latest tests from NSS Labs showed IE with a 99.9 percent block rate for what the security tester calls socially engineered malware (SEM). Chrome had a rate of 70.7 percent while Firefox and Safari hovered around 4 percent.
In general, SEM includes all malware that a computer user is tricked into downloading on the Web through a malicious link in an email, instant message or other vehicle. Malware delivered as an email attachment is excluded.

Full Article

29 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
First reason I've seen to use IE over something else 🙂
Userlevel 7
Yeah, I like IE, but version 11 often has problems with the properly displaing of web content.
Sometimes "Compatibility View" mode helps, sometimes unfortunately not.
That's the main reason why I use Chrome. 
Although Chrome has worse results in the test I feel safe using it due to the high level of protection offered by WSA :D
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Mike, I really like Safari and Chrome and use IE on some of my systems but Chrome is great with WSA..might try Firefox though since others like it so much...I have to switch on the iMac sometimes between Chrome and Safari especially when I try to contact Webroot Support Ticket...chrome won't accept password for support...don't know why..
Userlevel 7
Hi Sherry,

Firefox also works great with WSA. This combination provides a high level of protection against threats.
It's also a great browser, I have been using FF for many years before Chrome and I've still got it on my board ;)

Mike

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Mike, Nice to know..I used FF a long time ago and I'm sure it's greatly improved since. If I remember right it was pretty buggy but that was at least 10 years ago. But I think jasper, TH, and Baldrick use FF...don't quote me but I've only heard good things about that browser. I'm not one for change but doesn't it look like MS has been staying ontop of IE?
Userlevel 7
My own personal choice for a long time has been Chrome... IE has long been too buggy, and too slow.  I DO have all three installed: IE, Chrome and FF, for testing.  FF does indeed work with WSA, in fact a few members here have been after me to make the switch to it as it works quite well :)

I am stubborn though... still Chrome for me usually, though if you recall I have that overheating problem with the computer.  Quess what... often it is Chrome that causes it.  It runs faster and better, but it also drives the CPU quite a bit harder.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hey DavidP, good morning tester ....yes I think you are right with Chrome running Os and CPU hotter. My Mac seems to work harder but I'd chalk it up to the age of my Mac....Well I've always try to keep IE on my Microsoft OSs...I've only used chrome on my Apple Computer for security reasons and Safari would run slower. I'm a diehard for MS and I do know a few tech support guys in town who won't use IE.

Sorry if I ramble but we are all looking for speed, security and we'll I like eye candy browsers...colors ....etc..which Chrome has.
Confusing aren't I ...
Userlevel 7
My computer is also old... the Webroot Analyzer hates it... tells me I have too little RAM, an underpowered CPU, etc etc LOL.

It is right.

But I do not play games, so it gets me by 🙂  

I will have to work with FF a bit more and see how it does!
Userlevel 7
@DavidP1970 wrote:
It runs faster and better, but it also drives the CPU quite a bit harder.
You're right David.
Chrome is fatser than others, however it needs much more hardware resources than IE or FF.
It absorbs the CPU and requires a lot of RAM, mainly because each open tab is treated as a separate process in the system.
At the moment I'm trying to convince myself to use IE 11 ;)

Mike

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Wow Mike..you are right about each tab is treated as a sseparate process. .didnt even think of that..
Userlevel 7
It also opens Shockwave player as a separate process... which takes up a huge amount of CPU in Chrome, and is used far far more than you would imagine.  IE is far more efficient on the use of that.... but far less efficient on displaying pages.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi DavidP1970., Are you kidding me? Maybe I should go back to Safari with my Mac PC ...you guys are killing me here...smiley wink...
Userlevel 7
The seperate process is actually a good idea. I am guessing they are doing that to give each tab a seperate memory space and thus its stops (in theory) one tab from accessing the data in a second.
Userlevel 7
Hi Sherry :D
Yeah, it's true.
Most of extensions working under Chrome take the form of separate processes.
This technical solution has its advantages, it allows among other things, faster and more stable operation of the browser, however, translates to greater use of resources.
This is not a problem for the newer and more powerful machines, however on older PCs it can be sometimes clearly felt.

Hi Roy,
I fully agree with you :D

Mike
Userlevel 7
Sherry why do you want to stop using Chrome?
You feel it's too heavy for your Mac?

Mike
Userlevel 7
MIke is right.  Take a look at the image here... it shows the various Chrome processes from Chrome's own Task Manager.  (Shockwave is NOT running as I use Task Manager to shut it down any time it autostarts itself)

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Mike, my Mac is a 2009 with a new HD and seems to run abit hot so I'm not convinced that Chrome is happering the Mac or not. The Webroot optimizer saids I need a better video card and so forth...temp...files etc.
My Grandson plays games on the Mac like deer hunter and it freezes up at times and I bounce back and forth from Safari and Chrome. On my 2 computers I've using IE and Chrome. My laptops I use IE.
So I've really have my hands full maintaining all these computers don't I?

So really I haven't decided what to use permanently...thank you for asking because I could rattle on all day and still not have details or tests like the big boys here if you get my drift. LOL
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Great David! Love the image. Helps out a lot! Can you see my activity monitor now?

Sherry
Userlevel 7
Badge +62

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Can You see all my activity
Userlevel 5
Ok how does IE do this
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
I just posted from Macs activity monitor Ryan ...
Still, I prefer firefox above all else.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Mickey12gage, Welcome to Webroot Community! Would you like to express why you prefer FF?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Because I like it also and my default Browser for many years! :p

Daniel