ISPs urged to quarantine infected computers

• 3 June 2014
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Forcing users to clean their infected computers on an ongoing basis would be more disruptive to cybercriminals than botnet takedowns

By Lucian Constantin June 3, 2014                                                                        

The recent effort to disrupt the Gameover Zeus botnet includes plans for Internet service providers to notify victims, but some security researchers think ISPs should play an even bigger role in the future by actively quarantining infected computers identified on their networks.
Law enforcement agencies from several countries including the FBI and Europol announced Monday that they worked with security vendors to disrupt the Gameover Zeus botnet, which is estimated to have affected between 500,000 and 1 million computers.
"Individuals in the U.K. may receive notifications from their Internet Service Providers that they are a victim of this malware and are advised to back up all important information -- such as files, photography and videos," the U.K.'s National Crime Agency said in a statement on its website.

Full Article

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Yeah, in principle I can see that but how do you force anyone to do anything...and before anyone says you don't allow them to connect to the internet...I am sure that some malevolent techie somewhere will come up with a hack to allow the prevented to do just that...and so it goes on.

It is really is a tautology of the first degree. :(
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I don't think they can force anyone to do anything however I think there will be quite a few out there who when sent a notification that they have an infected machine which is stealling all their personal and financial data, will be scared into doing something about it. Hopefully I am right.
Userlevel 7
Call me a cynic...but isn't that exactly one of the tactics that some of the scam merchants and malware purveyors actually use at present...and people still get taken in by them believeing them to be legit when they are not...who do you trust? 
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
It is the same tactic you are right, but we have to live in hope. Did you know that I am the worlds biggest pessimist? ;)
The amount of scams and warnings around people shut off after a while thinking that it will never happen to them at the same time as someone is carrying off a bag of swag from their on-line bank account
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I agree that this would be a big can of worms, and easily manipulated by people with evil intent.  It's hard enough getting reliable Internet without having to worry about your ISP turning you off for "suspicious behavior".
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
It is the same tactic you are right, but we have to live in hope. Did you know that I am the worlds biggest pessimist? ;)
The amount of scams and warnings around people shut off after a while thinking that it will never happen to them at the same time as someone is carrying off a bag of swag from their on-line bank account
Nah, you are not Jasper...that is me that you are speaking about...beat you at that hands down...;)