In Anti-Virus, Who Can You Trust?

• 20 November 2017
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I know who I trust

November 20, 2017,  By Scott Petry

Officials and security researchers have named anti-virus vendors as the new weak link in enterprise and government networks. They claim that sensitive files of the U.S. National Security Agency, the Republic of Korea Armed Forces and U.S. companies were targeted and exfiltrated thanks to the software that should be protecting the endpoint.

Anti-virus solutions have been around since the mid-1980s. We gave them file system permissions to scan every file. Then we allowed access OS processes to scan active code. Then we allowed vendors to take our data to the cloud for “enhanced” security.

The irony is that for years we’ve been paying vendors to protect our endpoints. All the while, they serve as the perfect indexer for our sensitive data. By giving anti-virus vendors privileged access to our systems, they have full access to our data.

Full Article.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Well, Jasper...I wonder who in the world could you possibly be thinking about when you say "I know who I trust"? It wouldn't by any chance be those goodly folks from Broomfield? ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
Well, Jasper...I wonder who in the world could you possibly be thinking about when you say "I know who I trust"? It wouldn't by any chance be those goodly folks from Broomfield? ;)
I wonder how you knew Baldrick 😉