Intel wants you to forget what it's like to use a password

• 11 September 2015
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
http://betanews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/123456_password_sticky_note.jpg
Intel wants you to buy new PCs and laptops based on its latest, 6th generation Core processors. They were released last week, and power some of the latest Windows 10 devices.
Intel’s selling point? With the new processors, you can forget about passwords and use facial recognition software and other methods for logging in because hey, no one likes passwords any more.
 "We want to eliminate all passwords from computing", Kirk Skaugen, Senior VP and general manager of Intel’s Client Computing Group said at the Citi Global Technology Conference held on Tuesday. "I can confidently say today, you can eliminate all your passwords today, if you buy a 6th Generation Core system".
For example, Microsoft’s latest operating system features Windows Hello -- facial recognition software. To enjoy the full functionality of Windows Hello, you also need Intel’s RealSense 3D Camera, which looks at multiple angles to detect the photo’s depth and heat to determine the user’s identity.

full article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Sorry, computers are expensive and I don't want to break the camera 😃
Userlevel 7
OH so I can buy ONE laptop and forget about my passwords forever?  What about when I am at a friend's house?  What if I am using my tablet?  How about those who are allowed to log into some personal areas at work?

No.. I do not think a single laptop is going to do all that much for me, and to be honest I do not trust it.  What will happen in the event of a facial surgery requiring bandages?  Will facial recognition really recognize me then or am I locked out until I am healed?

The no password tech is too new for me.