Did You Know?

cohbraz

Interesting article on malicious toolbars

It calls out some big names in the AV industry...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gary-m-kaye/sneak-attack-those-annoyi_b_4444859.html

Please use plain text.
DavidP1970
Kudos: 1,651

Re: Interesting article on malicious toolbars

Now that IS an interesting article.

New to the Community? Register now and start posting!

Helpful Webroot Links:

Download (PC)   Download (Best Buy Subscription)   Submit Trouble Ticket   Account Console   User Guides   

"If you don't learn something new every day, you need to pay more attention. I often get my daily learning here so grab a chair and stay a while!"
WSA-Complete (Beta Tester), Toshiba Satellite L305, Intel Pentium Dual CPU at 1.87 GHz, 3 GB RAM With Windows 7 (x86) (Yes its old.. but it still usually works! : )
Please use plain text.
Frequent Voice
GTR707

Title of this thread needs to be edited. Toolbars are NOT malicious and never have been. As in matter of fact the author clearly says " and while they are considered adware and annoying, they are not considered harmful or malicious. Therefore, they don't qualify for anti-virus protection.". The title of the article goes:

"Sneak Attack -- Those Annoying Toolbars You Never Wanted"

Thanks. 99% of toolbars are installed by user who haphazardly click "next, next and next". 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gary-m-kaye/sneak-attack-those-annoyi_b_4444859.html

Please use plain text.
cohbraz

GTR707, I disagree. To many average computer users who install a known good program only to have the toolbars install along with the program then cause a multitude of problems, they are as malicious as any other malware.

I consider myself an advanced user, and I have even accidentally installed programs that I did not intend to due to how the add on was written. I had to go back twice and read it several times during install to see where I was accepting it.

Any program that installs without the user wanting it to and changing the way the computer operates is malicious.

Please use plain text.
DavidP1970

cohbraz wrote:
GTR707, I disagree. To many average computer users who install a known good program only to have the toolbars install along with the program then cause a multitude of problems, they are as malicious as any other malware.

I consider myself an advanced user, and I have even accidentally installed programs that I did not intend to due to how the add on was written. I had to go back twice and read it several times during install to see where I was accepting it.

Any program that installs without the user wanting it to and changing the way the computer operates is malicious.

I don't consider most of them to be Malware.  The ones that truly hijack the browser yes, but many I do not.  I DO believe they are all annoyware or worse though.

Your thread title is perfect as it though.. It grabs attention and is more likely to get people to READ it, and learn from it, which was the whole point of your post to begin with.  Please don't change it, I think it is more effective as is!

Helpful Webroot Links:

Download (PC)   Download (Best Buy Subscription)   Submit Trouble Ticket   Account Console   User Guides   

"If you don't learn something new every day, you need to pay more attention. I often get my daily learning here so grab a chair and stay a while!"
WSA-Complete (Beta Tester), Toshiba Satellite L305, Intel Pentium Dual CPU at 1.87 GHz, 3 GB RAM With Windows 7 (x86) (Yes its old.. but it still usually works! : )
Please use plain text.
cohbraz

By the way, further in the article the author does call toolbars malicious:

"The most common way to land up with one of these malicious toolbars is through unsafe surfing, or by responding to some free download that you thought was legit."

Please use plain text.
Frequent Voice
GTR707

[ Edited ]

I have never ever been infected nor have I ever had a toolbar sneak by me. Everything and anything I install on my pc I read carefully. Toolbars are NOT malicious and can be removed easily via add/remove programs. Some redirect your searches to there search engine which is easily correctable. Google Chrome now features a browser reset function. AdwCleaner can remove any left overs. Sure some installers try to be sneaky to the untrained eye like graying out your options to uncheck them. But toolbars are directly installed by the user. 

~ snip Links to third-party security vendors will be removed.as per Community Guidelines ~

Read what you quoted. It explains all. The thread title is incorrect. Toolbars are not malicious and do nothing malicious to your pc. All they do is make annoying changes to your browser. They are easily removed in seconds. 

Please use plain text.
cohbraz

In my title, I used the words "malicious toolbars." In what I quoted from the author, he used the words "malicious toolbars." So I am not changing the title. Just because you do not think they are malicious does not mean that everybody shares the same opinion.

The article lays groundwork explaining that they can be malicious to the average user.

Please use plain text.
explanoit
Topics: 58
Kudos: 492
Ideas: 51

[ Edited ]

Most viruses are also installed by the user. Their determination of if something is safe or a good idea to run is not really of importance. Thankfully many have the sense to pay someone else (like Webroot) to assist in this determination. 

They are malicious in that they have no good intentions. It's about tricking and exploiting people. There is no legitimate purpose for these pieces of software. It's about gumming up the computer and hardware someone paid good money for just out of greed.

In general they are not malware. Which is why there is the PUA classification. So AV firms can remove this junk without having to call it malware.

----------------------------------------
Business Products Sr. Community Leader and Expert Advisor - WSA-Enterprise and WSAWSS administrator of 1400+ computers
First company to 1000+ WSA endpoints | Power User / Business Ambassador / WSA-C and WSA-E Beta tester
Community LeaderCommunity Leader
Find me on Twitter!

Please use plain text.
DavidP1970

explanoit wrote:

Most viruses are also installed by the user. Their determination of if something is safe or a good idea to run is not really of importance. If users knew what they were doing, AV's only function would acting as a final layer in a worst case scenario. 

They are malicious in that they have no good intentions. It's about tricking people. There is no legitimate purpose for these pieces of software.

In general they are not malware.

Which is why there is the PUA classification. So AV firms can remove this junk without having to call it malware.

And AV companies, Webroot included, are now beginning to detect and remove more and more of the worst of these.

Helpful Webroot Links:

Please use plain text.