Is Mac malware on the rise?

• 26 October 2015
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
October 26, 2015 | BY Thomas Reed

Last week, Bit9 + Carbon Black released a paper stating that five times more malware for OS X has appeared in 2015 than during the previous five years combined.

Their findings are interesting, but are not well understood by many Mac users. Some have reacted with disbelief, others with great fear for this dangerous new future.

It turns out that the findings are completely true, but depend entirely on your definition of the word “malware.”

Malware is a general term for any kind of malicious software. Viruses, trojans, worms, spyware, and illicit keyloggers and remote access software all fall under the umbrella of malware. Differences in function and installation methods are irrelevant; if it’s malicious, it’s malware, and thus illegal.

Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi ?,

Malware certainly is on the rise and when I was flying home from Denver I was talking to this very nice lady about Webroot and of all times not to have a Webroot card. She said she had a Mac and that she didn't have to worry about virues. I said oh yes you do. Malware on the Macs are on the rise and so she began to question this and then she said she was going to get her nephew who was i into computers and see if he's heard of Webroot since he has a Mac as well. I told her that Webroot has a Free Trial that she could try out. She seemed greatful that I had told her this. I should be a saleman!;)
Userlevel 7
Good job on the sales pitch to this lady. I carry Webroot cards on me at all times and have passed them out with a explanation on Webroot.