'Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor design flaw forces Linux, Windows redesign

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Other OSes will need an update, performance hits loom

By John Leyden and Chris Williams 2 Jan 2018  

A fundamental design flaw in Intel's processor chips has forced a significant redesign of the Linux and Windows kernels to defang the chip-level security bug.

Programmers are scrambling to overhaul the open-source Linux kernel's virtual memory system, while Microsoft is expected to publicly introduce necessary changes to its Windows operating system in this month's Patch Tuesday. These changes were seeded to beta testers running fast-ring Windows Insider builds in December.

Full Article.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
January 3rd, 2018  By Zeljka Zorz

Windows users whose PCs run on Intel processors can apparently expect their computers to slow down after next Tuesday. In fact, all computers using modern Intel chips – whether they run Windows, Linux or macOS – are expected to suffer a performance hit in the coming days.

The reason for this unwelcome change is a fundamental design flaw discovered in Intel’s processor chips, more specifically in the Intel x86-64 hardware, which will have to be fixed through a change in the software (i.e. at the OS level) and will ultimately impact the responsiveness of the CPUs.

Full Article.
Userlevel 7
BY: Zeljka Zorz - Managing EditorJanuary 3, 2018
Windows users whose PCs run on Intel processors can apparently expect their computers to slow down after next Tuesday. In fact, all computers using modern Intel chips – whether they run Windows, Linux or macOS – are expected to suffer a performance hit in the coming days.
The reason for this unwelcome change is a fundamental design flaw discovered in Intel’s processor chips, more specifically in the Intel x86-64 hardware, which will have to be fixed through a change in the software (i.e. at the OS level) and will ultimately impact the responsiveness of the CPUs.

full article here:
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
By Mike Wuerthele
Wednesday, January 03, 2018

After a public disclosure of a security flaw with nearly every Intel processor produced for the last 15 years, concern grew that a fix may take up to 30 percent of the processing power away from a system. But Apple appears to have at least partially fixed the problem with December's macOS 10.13.2 —and more fixes appear to be coming in 10.13.3.

Full Article.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
News Byte January 3, 2018

Recent reports that these exploits are caused by a “bug” or a “flaw” and are unique to Intel products are incorrect. Based on the analysis to date, many types of computing devices — with many different vendors’ processors and operating systems — are susceptible to these exploits.

Full Article.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The flaw, first reported to affect Intel chips, also affects to varying degrees processors made by rival AMD as well as the ARM processors used in cell phones and other devices.

https://www.axios.com/how-the-giants-of-tech-are-dealing-with-a-massive-chip-vulnerability-2522206367.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Thank you Daniel.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Ben Lovejoy  Jan. 4th 2018

Following clarification that what was initially reported as an Intel chip bug also affects AMD processors and ARM-based chips, Intel’s CEO has said that ‘phones and everything’ will be impacted.

A security update by ARM suggests that a number of iPhones, iPads, iPods and Apple TVs may be affected …

An ARM Processor Security Update lists processors known to be susceptible. These include the Cortex-A8, Cortex-A9 and Cortex-A15.

While Apple designs its own A-series chips for iOS devices, these are based on ARM architecture. A number of A-series chips include at least some elements of the Cortex-A8, -A9 and -A15 processors, and so may also be susceptible.

Full Article.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The patch for Windows 10 is now out via Windows Update! https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4056892/windows-10-update-kb4056892

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thanks Daniel! I am going to the link you provided to get the download patch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Phew! It's updated..now to test to see if my system got slower..

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Some were saying: Today's patch >> was next week patches could impact performance

Here's my results and I don't see much difference IMO.

Before Patch:

After Patch:

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I have updated mine and there is no noticeable difference in performance that I have noticed.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
January 3rd, 2018  By Zeljka Zorz

Full Article.
Spectre and Meltdown? 😉
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Ben Lovejoy  Jan. 4th 2018

Following clarification that what was initially reported as an Intel chip bug also affects AMD processors and ARM-based chips, Intel’s CEO has said that ‘phones and everything’ will be impacted.

A security update by ARM suggests that a number of iPhones, iPads, iPods and Apple TVs may be affected …

An ARM Processor Security Update lists processors known to be susceptible. These include the Cortex-A8, Cortex-A9 and Cortex-A15.

While Apple designs its own A-series chips for iOS devices, these are based on ARM architecture. A number of A-series chips include at least some elements of the Cortex-A8, -A9 and -A15 processors, and so may also be susceptible.

Full Article.
I have a Samsung TV that I purchased in 2010...they aren't smart like today's new TV's that record and listen into what you watch. Shades of 'Big Brother'! 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
From what I have seen it appears that we may have to wait until Patch Tuesday or even the end of next for some systems for the fix to be rolled out, these fixes right now are just enable the patches to be installed. So we are in the hands of the vendors. I cannot imagine everyone replacing the CPU's I think most people will wait until they renew their devices.

Security org provides awkward advice in CPU bug saga

Jan 5, 2018 11:45 GMT  ·  By Bogdan Popa

The United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) said in an advisory published this week that addressing the Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities discovered in Intel, AMD, and ARM processors doesn’t necessarily come down to software patches, but to replacing the CPUs altogether.

The awkward advice posted on its official website has already been removed, but a cached version of the page (also shown in a screenshot attached to this article) still includes the reference to the recommended hardware replacement.

“The underlying vulnerability is primarily caused by CPU architecture design choices. Fully removing the vulnerability requires replacing vulnerable CPU hardware,” US-CERT said in the original advisory.

Full Article.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The plot thickens! :S Time for us to toss our PC's out the Windows! LOL
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Are they crazy? Unimaginable! 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +56

Intel patch hampers performance of AWS EC2 servers

AWS customers complain of server slowdowns following implementation of Meltdown patch

Users of Amazon Web Services (AWS) have complained that the patches rushed out to mitigate the risks of the Meltdown chip flaw affecting Intel microprocessors has dramatically affected the performance of their AWS instances. 
Customers have complained online about the performance hit that, they say, is affecting their applications. 

https://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/3023878/intel-patch-hampers-performance-of-aws-ec2-servers
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Something positive now, about what are not affected by the vulnerabilities - the Apple Watch all Raspberry devices. I wish the list was longer, but I may find others!
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Are they crazy? Unimaginable! :(
Agree, and VW inbroglio all over again?   Just another company to have a class action launched against it? 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I think the NSA paid these companies for the holes and this is very annoying