Lizard Squad claims to have brought down both Facebook and Instagram

• 27 January 2015
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52

Both social network platforms Facebook and Instagram went down on Tuesday while Lizard Squad hacking team claims responsibility for an alleged DDoS attack.

A couple of the most popular social networks Facebook and Instagram went down for at least 40 minutes on Tuesday, the official motivation is a technical outage, but the popular hacking crew Lizard Squad claims to have attacked the giants. The incident impacted also the mobile applications of Facebook and Instagram, which were not reachable for the same time.
“Sorry, something went wrong. We’re working on it and we’ll get it fixed as soon as we can,” said a message on the Facebook site.
The company also published the following statement on the incident:
“Facebook and Instagram experienced a major outage tonight from 22:10 until 23:10 PST. Our engineers identified the cause of the outage and recovered the site quickly. You should now see decreasing error rates while our systems stabilize. We don’t expect any other break in service. I’ll post another update within 30 mins. Thank you for your patience.”

Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
By YOUKYUNG LEE  AP Technology Writer  - January 27th 2015

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) -- Facebook said it suffered a self-inflicted outage lasting an hour on Tuesday that made its site inaccessible to users worldwide.
The glitch reported in Asia, the United States, Australia and the U.K. affected access from PCs and Facebook's mobile app. The social media giant's Instagram service was also inaccessible.
A Facebook statement said the disruption was caused by a technical change it made to the site and wasn't a cyberattack. Lizard Squad, a group notorious for attention seeking antics online, claimed responsibility on Twitter for the outages.

Full Article

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I'd like to see a more technical breakdown of what the issue was before I'll believe Facebook 🙂