Mac Adware OSX.Pirrit Unleashes Ad Overload, For Now

• 8 April 2016
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
By Tom Spring April 7, 2016

Researchers discovered a Mac OS X variant of the Windows-based Pirrit adware that creates a proxy server on infected Mac computers and injects ads into webpages. According to researchers at Boston-based Cybereason Labs, the adware, dubbed OSX.Pirrit, is mostly benign, serving up just ads, but has the potential to morph into something more sinister.

“Today OSX.Pirrit is considered a low threat,” said Amit Serper, lead Mac OS X and Linux security researcher at Cybereason, who discovered the adware. “But, technically those behind OSX.Pirrit have complete access to targeted systems,” he said in an interview with Threatpost.

Full Article

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thanks for the warning Jasper. Always something going on here with the Mac OS lately.
Userlevel 7
Oooooh...not nice at all. Poor, Apple...another day and another issue...I susppose that they are starting to know how Microsoft have felt all of these years past...;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
Oooooh...not nice at all. Poor, Apple...another day and another issue...I susppose that they are starting to know how Microsoft have felt all of these years past...;)
Yes, poor poor Apple and I suppose the core issue (pun intended) is that people believed the hype that Apples just do not get viruses etc. well they are learning the hard way now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Yes, poor poor Apple and I suppose the core issue (pun intended) is that people believed the hype that Apples just do not get viruses etc. well they are learning the hard way now.
Well it only make Apple better and better when discovering these vulneralbilites.

Poor Poor Apple will at least fix their products! Automatic and painless updates..

People will just realize that Apple has it's flaws as well as Microsoft! Knowing that Apple and Micorsoft are Security issies doesn't stop anyone from purchasing them..