Malicious hackers discovered way to deliver malware through unloved Ask Toolbar

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Ask not what this browser toolbar can do for you, but what you can do to this browser toolbar.

Graham Cluley | March 21, 2017  For years people have been opening their browser and asking, "how the heck did that Ask Toolbar get installed?"
Chances are that if you don't have the Ask.com search toolbar haunting your PC, you may have friends or family who are afflicted.

Normally the Ask toolbar is installed in a slightly underhand fashion. Users install the likes of Java (as though there weren't a mistake in itself!) and have unwanted additional software foisted upon them, as they fail to read the small print and don't spot that they've accidentally agreed to install the Ask.com toolbar.

Full Article

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Woah, is Ask still around? I thought that it was long gone...perhaps someone should put it out of it's misery. ;)
Userlevel 7
Pretty sure this is the only reason why it's still alive.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I remember when Webroot offered the Ask Toolbar before WSA came out and I'm so glad it's been gone ever since! 😉
Userlevel 7
I didn't even know that, Daniel....
Happy thoughts, Happy thoughts....!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes the 2011 and older versions of SpySweeper with Anti-Virus. http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/webroot_antivirus_with_spy_sweeper_2011.html but I'm glad it's gone!
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
I didn't even know that, Daniel....
Happy thoughts, Happy thoughts....!
A good job that Webroot saw the light ;)

When I first got involved with computers one of the search engines we were taught to rely on was Ask Jeeves - how things have changed. In fact thinking about it, we were only shown Yahoo and Ask.
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Ask Jeeves brings back some memories Jasper! If I think really hard, I can recollect starting out with Lycos and AltaVista but it's getting harder to remember the world before Google!