Malvertising Makes Its Way into Skype

• 11 February 2016
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Skype users were safe, but browser users were being redirected to the Angler Exploit Kit, which deployed TeslaCrypt

Feb 11, 2016 09:39 GMT  ·  By Catalin Cimpanu  Security researchers from F-Secure have uncovered a brief malvertising campaign that has hit Skype users, in what seems to have been an accidental infection.

Malvertising is the operation of delivering advertising laced with malicious JavaScript code that hijacks the user's browsing experience and takes them to a rogue Web page, where attackers employ automated software called exploit kits to scan the system for vulnerabilities and abuse them to infect the user's PC with malware.

Theoretically, malvertising works in all mediums where ads can be shown. In practice, malvertising is only effective in browsers, since exploit kits are often configured to exploit browser-specific issues.

In the most recent case of a malvertising campaign, researchers from F-Secure observed a spike in malicious ads delivered to Skype users.

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/malvertising-makes-its-way-into-skype-500258-2.png
                                                                                              Malvertising hits Skype, users are safe.

Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Good article, what my question is the browser users were being redirected to rogue sites, where is the security when being redirected?? and what browsers where they using??
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@Antus67 wrote:
Good article, what my question is the browser users were being redirected to rogue sites, where is the security when being redirected?? and what browsers where they using??
A very good point Antus.