Malware Finds New Ways to Bypass Security Controls on Android 5.0 and 6.0

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Crooks leverage the UsageStatsManager API for evil deeds

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/fitted/340x180/malware-finds-new-ways-to-bypass-security-controls-on-android-5-0-and-6-0.jpg

Jun 3, 2016 14:35 GMT  ·  By Catalin Cimpanu  A week after it revealed how Android malware uses the "target_sdk" attribute to bypass security features on Android Marshmallow (6.0), Symantec is now presenting technical details about two other methods used by crooks to skirt Android's defensive features once again.

As before, the culprits are the Android.Bankosy banking trojan and the Android.Cepsohord click-fraud bot, whose authors are apparently scouring GitHub projects for tricks on how to get a list of active processes (running tasks).

Discovering the list of active tasks is critical to malware creators since it allows them to sniff out the user's current applications and show a malicious phishing overlay on top to collect login credentials.

Full Article

4 replies

Userlevel 7
The crooks are aware that the Androids are not beefing up the security as one would do on a work station or laptop, their focusing on the weak Androids and tablets.
Userlevel 7
Another day, another Android-related exploit...and people actually pay money to use this mobile OS...LOL. I think that they should get real when it comes to their security.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
Another day, another Android-related exploit...and people actually pay money to use this mobile OS...LOL. I think that they should get real when it comes to their security.
I agree totally Baldrick. Until people get serious about security nothing will change.
Userlevel 7
And I suspect that many will not until they hav, unforunately, been 'burnt' by a security lapse. :(