Marine Corps Activates Cyber Warfare Group

• 29 March 2016
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
By Mike Lennon on March 29, 2016

“We’ve always had the means to communicate and the means to protect that communication, but today we’re in an environment where those methods are more and more reliant on a system of transmissions, routers and networks,” said Col. Ossen J. D’Haiti, the commanding officer of MCCYWG. “So, the ability to protect that, the ability to control that and deny an adversary to interdict that, is crucial to command and control.”

“Cyber operations as a whole are anything from ensuring your network is secure to home use like when you buy a router, set it up, set up passwords and encryptions,” said Sgt. Brian Mueller, a digital network exploitation analyst with MCCYWG.

“[Cyberspace operations] ensure that our systems are secure to stop hackers from getting into our systems where our personal identifiable information and everything else is stored,” Mueller added. “ While the offensive side is what can we do to hinder an enemy.”

Full Article

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Actually, I am surprised to hear this as I had assumed that the US Marines would have been at the cutting edge of this in terms of the US Military.

Would be very interesting to be a fly on the wall and watch their operations, etc....the virtual battefield...I supose one could call it? ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
Actually, I am surprised to hear this as I had assumed that the US Marines would have been at the cutting edge of this in terms of the US Military.

Would be very interesting to be a fly on the wall and watch their operations, etc....the virtual battefield...I supose one could call it? ;)
I have to admit Baldrick that I was surprised as well. I think most people just assume that they are out there already working in cybersecurity, obviously we were wrong.
Userlevel 7
Interesting though as the British Army has only recently established a Cyber Warefare Command.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I suppose before the rise of ISIS they relied on GCHQ and the Ameican eqivalent but now with the higher level of threats they need a military response.
Userlevel 7
Indeed, but they are both way behind the Russians, Chinese & North Koreans who have been into this formally for quite a while...let's just hope that they can catch up?
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
Indeed, but they are both way behind the Russians, Chinese & North Koreans who have been into this formally for quite a while...let's just hope that they can catch up?
I agree with that, it is going to a while to catch up but I have a hunch that we are not as far as behind as all that.