Microsoft Security Advisory Notification Issued: October 15, 2014

• 16 October 2014
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Title: Microsoft Security Advisory Notification
Issued: October 15, 2014
Security Advisories Updated or Released Today ==============================================
* Microsoft Security Advisory (3009008)
- Title: Vulnerability in SSL 3.0 Could Allow Information
Disclosure
- https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/3009008
- Revision Note: V1.1 (October 15, 2014): Advisory revised to
include a workaround for disabling the SSL 3.0 protocol in
Windows.

Other Information
=================
Recognize and avoid fraudulent email to Microsoft customers:
=============================================================
If you receive an email message that claims to be distributing a Microsoft security update, it is a hoax that may contain malware or pointers to malicious websites. Microsoft does not distribute security updates via email.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
As always, thank you to our in-house Mr. Microsoft, Daniel!

😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Webroot! :)

I had 19 updates with W/7 and now to check W/8...belated patch Tuesday I must say! ;)

Thanks Daniel!
Userlevel 7
My "Patch Tuesday" hit upon shutdown at bedtime last night.  17 updates went in here, though I suspect I will have a couple more when I shut down tonight.  Yes.. I just let them come in on thier own at the moment.  That is a big change for me, I used to intentionally NOT get the updates for 2 to 3 weeks in case of bugs.
Userlevel 7
I downloaded the updates at 1:01 PM Tuesday. 20 updates on the HP desktop and 17 updates on the Toshiba Laptop all running Win 7. Anyone have a double reboot during the updates? My HP double rebooted but the laptop didn't. All updates successful.  
Userlevel 7
My Dell Windows 7 did a double reboot, 17 updates.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
One failed and I can't download either so I'm trying to find out why and it's not being offered again via Windows Update? At least it's not a Critical Update!

Daniel

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2984981

Userlevel 7
Daniel, 

Now that I look at the logs, I too have one failed.  A different one from you, but same situation in that I can't seem to be able to get it offered again.

Can you go to installed updates and see if your failed one is listed, and attempt to remove it?  The one that failed for me is listed as if I can remove it... though I have not yet tried.

If so, that MIGHT get it listed again as available so you can try to run that update again.
Userlevel 7
My logs also so KB2952664 Failed for Tuesdays update.
But my logs also show this update complete on September 9th. So should I be worried?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
But my logs also show this update complete on September 9th. So should I be worried?
Yes.. that is the one I have marked as failed PTD.  Same one as you.  I do not have the record of the install back in September though (I had not enabled Updates until September 14th)
Userlevel 7
That's weird, KB2952664 Failed on both of my computers on Tuesday like David's. But on my computers this was successful on September 9th. The update Daniel has that failed KB2984981 completed successfully on both my computers.
Userlevel 7
KB2984981 also installed OK on mine Dave.

Rather odd...
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Not sure Dave as I don't see and download for it? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2952664 and I don't see it on my list? Win 7 x64

Daniel 😠
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Daniel, 

Now that I look at the logs, I too have one failed.  A different one from you, but same situation in that I can't seem to be able to get it offered again.

Can you go to installed updates and see if your failed one is listed, and attempt to remove it?  The one that failed for me is listed as if I can remove it... though I have not yet tried.

If so, that MIGHT get it listed again as available so you can try to run that update again.
It's not listed David so nothing to unistall! I'm keeping an eye on my MVP channels and will post any relevant links!

Daniel