Microsoft bans basic passwords because of that LinkedIn hack

• 25 May 2016
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I find it hard to believe actually that companies are only now waking up to this problem.

Passwords like '123456' and 'Password' won't be allowed

May 25th 2016  By Dave Neal

SECURITY-AWARE Microsoft has taken time out from patching its own problems to help people sort out one of their own: choosing a password.

We are here, mostly it seems, because of the hacker who put up over 100 million usernames and passwords from business people virtual head-nod site LinkedIn.

Alex Simons, director of programme management for identity services at Microsoft, said in an Active Directory blog post that Microsoft will make efforts to stop the same thing happening to other people.

Full Article

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Common sense dictates  use complicated passwords and change on a regular basis
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
@Antus67 wrote:
Common sense dictates  use complicated passwords and change on a regular basis
Hi @ and @  yes common sense I couldn't agree with you more.  Jasper great article! Thank you for sharing,
Userlevel 7
Jasper, what you do mean 'only just waking up'...;)...it is only MS at present, which is hardly "companIES"...and I strongly suspect that many will continue to overlook this basic (excuse the intended pun) area of security until they themselves are hit as a result. :(
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
Jasper, what you do mean 'only just waking up'...;)...it is only MS at present, which is hardly "companIES"...and I strongly suspect that many will continue to overlook this basic (excuse the intended pun) area of security until they themselves are hit as a result. :(
An excellent point Baldrick. IF MS is the only one doing it at present then that also means that those which have been hit up till now have not yet changed their ways, what a sorry state the internet is.
Userlevel 7
 Posted by AnkitGupta@TWCN

Just wondering why now and what sort ofbacklash amongst the user base this will cause?

http://news.thewindowsclubco.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Microsoft-1-400x337.jpg

"In a bid to boost users’ online security, Microsoft has decided to ban common passwords that look too basic and can be easily decoded by the hackers. The company maintains a database of banned passwords which are insecure and commonly used, and users would be prevented in registering passwords that are similar or match with the commonly used passwords database.

Microsoft’s announcement comes on the backdrop of another leak scandal that occurred 2 weeks back when 117 million LinkedIn email credentials were put for sale in the black market."

Full Article