Microsoft extends Windows 8.1 Update/KB 2919355 deadline

• 12 May 2014
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
With one day to go before Black Tuesday patches, Microsoft didn't so much blink as bow to the reality that users have been unable to install Windows 8.1 Update
By Woody Leonhard | InfoWorld If you've been following the saga, you know that Microsoft has repeatedly threatened to withhold patches from Windows 8.1 customers unless they install "Windows 8.1 Update" -- variously known as Update 1, Spring Update, GDR 1, and several unprintable variants, but best identified as KB 2919355. Windows 8.1 Update/KB 2919355 was released on April 8.
With the next round of Windows 8.1 patches due to arrive May 13, on Microsoft's Black Tuesday patching day, Windows 8.1 users who couldn't install Windows 8.1 Update were really feeling the heat. Nobody (not even Microsoft) knows how many people are having repeated problems getting KB 2919355 to install, but complaints persist on the Microsoft Answers Forum, with the latest ones posted May 12. One thread on the Microsoft Answers Forum is up to 955 entries (not all of them complaints), and another is at 1,121 entries, for a total of more than 200 pages of complaints. There are many dozen different complaint threads in addition to those two, and more than a dozen noted failure error codes.

Full Article

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Also from Microsoft! http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/windowsexperience/archive/2014/05/12/windows-8-1-update-requirement-extended.aspx

Thanks Jeff,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Phew!  I was starting to have nightmares about tomorrow.  Thanks to you both.

As an aside, I truly wish that the Microsoft Community (and TechNet community) were run a bit more like ours.  I personally have a few issues posted (nowhere near the 2K noted above) that remain unanswered for well over a month.  In many cases, I see duplicate replies from various MODs who I guess did not read the thread to find out that someone else was already working on it.

Again, as always, glad to be here!

- Jeff
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes I see allot via My MS-MVP channels and not much help. :(

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
MS always extends the deadline.  Problem is that trains people to ignore them 🙂
Userlevel 7
Thanks for sharing guys!