Microsoft is building a smart antivirus using 400 million PCs

• 27 June 2017
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
An upcoming security update will incorporate machine learning from millions of computers fending off malware, the company says.
by Alfred Ng   June 27, 2017 Microsoft is turning to artificial intelligence to create the next generation of antivirus software.

The company is under massive pressure to deliver a cybersecurity solution that will work for millions of computers, as hackers ramp up attacks and raise the stakes. In recent weeks, for example, the WannaCry ransomware devastated more than 200,000 computers worldwide, many of which were running outdated versions of the Windows operating system.

Full Article.

7 replies

Why does this sound familiar? Oh yeah, that's right, Webroot has been doing this for years.:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yea right? :@

In its Fall Creators Update, Microsoft will use a wide range of data coming from its cloud programs such as Azure, Endpoint and Office to create an artificial intelligence antivirus that can pick up on malware behavior, said Rob Lefferts, director of program management for Windows Enterprise and Security. The upgrade is coming to Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection, with new features like browser-focused Application Guard and cloud-related Device Guard and Exploit Guard.
If new malware is detected on any computer running Windows 10 in the world, Microsoft said it will be able to develop a signature for it and protect all the other users worldwide. The first victim will be safe as well because the virus will be set off in a virtual sandbox on the cloud, not on the person's device.
Microsoft sees artificial intelligence as the next solution for security as attacks get more sophisticated.

As @ said Webroot is already there for many years.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Exactly, Webroot is at the front and all the rest are just playing catch up.
Userlevel 7

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Like this going on now! https://community.webroot.com/t5/Announcements/June-27-2017-Latest-Cyber-Attack-Hits-Europe/m-p/296056
Userlevel 7
Microsoft will never be as good as Webroot when it comes to Antivirus / Malware Security. ;) I believe Microsoft is after the novice PC user, "You never have to buy Third Party Security because Microsoft has you covered" Yeah right.  

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Microsoft will never be as good as Webroot when it comes to Antivirus / Malware Security. ;) I believe Microsoft is after the novice PC user, "You never have to buy Third Party Security because Microsoft has you covered" Yeah right.  

Well, Dave

While in principle I agree with you with Microsoft I would never say never, especially what with recent developments under Satya Nadella stewardship (they at last appear to have someone at the helm with a bit of nouse & vision).
Whilst they may never be as good as ebroot I have a feeling that they will increase their share of the market and at least be the initial go to solution for many newbies...and then the difficulty will be getting them off something that is integrated and works, albeit not as well as the likes of WRSA, on to something better.
Time will tell.

Regards, Baldrick