Microsoft strips some Windows 7 users of IE11 patch privileges

• 15 June 2014
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
By Gregg KeizerJune 15, 2014 07:32 AM E

Computerworld - Microsoft has quietly stopped serving security updates to Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) on consumer and small business Windows 7 PCs unless the customer has successfully applied an April update for the browser.
The requirement and associated patch stoppage were similar to those Microsoft mandated for Windows 8.1 when it told customers they had to migrate to Windows 8.1 Update by June 10 or lose their patch privileges. The Windows 7 requirement, however, affected only IE11, Microsoft's newest browser, not the operating system.
Users who have not installed the IE security update issued on April 8 -- identified by Microsoft as MS14-018 -- on Windows 7, and who rely on Windows Update to download and install fixes, did not receive the June 10 IE update. Nor will IE11 receive any future updates, security or otherwise, until that MS14-018 has been installed. Windows Update will not display the appropriate IE11 patches.

ComputerWorld/ full read here/ http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9249125/Microsoft_strips_some_Windows_7_users_of_IE11_patch_privileges

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Just make sure you have one of these installed on April 8th then you are fine also you must have IE11 installed to get them!

For Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

KB2929437

And for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2.

KB2919355

I hope this clears up the confusion as I have KB2929437 installed on my Win 7 x64!

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 7
Already checked and am good to go...installed in April...ouf.
Userlevel 7
Okie-dokie... I just had to wash my face and make sure I'm fully awake. :p

Um, @  how the heck did you install that 49 days into the future?!?! :S
Userlevel 7
Another Read on IE11 patch privileges
TIME TRAVELLERS needed to secure Windows 7

By Darren Pauli, 16 Jun 2014

Microsoft has forced Windows 7 users to apply an April update in order to receive June's patches for its Internet Explorer 11 browser.
The demand does not affect users of earlier versions of its flagship browser or operating system.
 Microsoft did not provide reasons for the move but it appeared to have simplified its patching process since updates need only to be crafted for the latest incarnation of the latest browser version.

The Register/ full read here/ http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/16/ie_11_apply_april_fix_or_be_hacker_fodder/