light bulb

Did You Know?

Highlighted
Topics: 4,025
Kudos: 7,811

Microsoft will block adware without easy uninstall

Company revises policies for classifying, detecting and handling adware programs in its security software.

Microsoft has toughened its criteria for classifying programs as adware and gave developers three months to conform with the new principles or risk having their programs blocked by the company's security products.

The most important change in Microsoft's policy is that adware programs will be blocked by default starting July 1. In the past such programs were allowed to run until users chose one of the recommended actions offered by the company's security software.

Full Article

Sr. Community Leader

Frequent Voice
Frequent Voice

Re: Microsoft will block adware without easy uninstall

WOW mircosoft does not make sense at all.
---------------------------------------------------------------
~Var

Helper of the Webroot Community

OS and Main Antivirus:Linux Mint, None Smiley Sad
----------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos: 4,619

Microsoft makes a lot of sense on this: they are adopting a PUA policy similar to what Webroot uses.  Those that have easy and accurate uninstall directions are not  likely to be flagged, but those without that are flagged and marked for removal.

David, (shorTcircuiT)

New to the Community? Register now and start posting!

Helpful Webroot Links:

Download (PC)   Download (Best Buy Subscription)   Submit Trouble Ticket   Account Console   User Guides   

"If you don't learn something new every day, you need to pay more attention. I often get my daily learning here so grab a chair and stay a while!"

WSA-Complete (Beta PC), WSA Mobile (Android), WSA Business Mobile (Android) WSA-Endpoint (PC- Some of the time.....)
Topics: 4,025
Kudos: 7,811

It makes perfect sense to me and it is certainly a big step in the right direction.

Sr. Community Leader

Topics: 177
Kudos: 601

Such activities can certainly help to increase the level of security and certainly to reduce the number of Potentially Unwanted Applications, which are becoming more frequent and often reduce the effective operation of the OS.
I also think that's the right way to go.

Mike

Sr. Community Leader

Beta Tester

WEBROOT® SecureAnywhere™ Internet Security Complete Beta v8.0.8.89

Topics: 640
Kudos: 8,021

Good then Webroot can be more aggressive now! @DanP 

Daniel Smiley Wink

coollogo_com-133794099.gif

asapvip.png  SigSVIP.png EPA.png

Webroot® SecureAnywhere™ Internet Security Complete Beta Tester v9.0.0.65 on my main system Alienware 17R2, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & HTC One M8 Android Lollipop 5.0.1 Phone v3.6.0.6722.

MVP.gif.png Microsoft® MVP Consumer Security  

Twitter1.png  Untitled-1.png  WBA.png