Microsoft will craft XP patches after April '14, but not for you

• 27 August 2013
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Just because Microsoft doesn't plan on giving Windows XP patches to the public after April 8, 2014, doesn't mean it's going to stop making those patches.

In fact, Microsoft will be creating security updates for Windows XP for months -- years, even -- after it halts their delivery to the general public.

Those patches will come from a program called "Custom Support," an after-retirement contract designed for very large customers who have not, for whatever reason, moved on from an older OS.

As part of Custom Support -- which according to analysts, costs about $200 per PC for the first year and more each succeeding year -- participants receive patches for vulnerabilities rated "critical" by Microsoft. Bugs ranked as "important," the next step down in Microsoft's four-level threat scoring system, are not automatically patched. Instead, Custom Support contract holders must pay extra for those. Flaws pegged as "moderate" or "low" are not patched at all.

Full Story

A long article but all may not be lost for the home user:

"If Windows XP remains a major presence, as it appears likely, with projections as high as 33.5% of all personal computers at the end of April 2014, Microsoft could decide to continue patching the aged OS with free fixes for critical vulnerabilities, maybe even those rated important."

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
D'oh!
Userlevel 7
Good grief! That costs more than simply upgrading would! I think I see some major $ signs in this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
As much I liked XP Pro and still still use it in a VM Win 7 is superior in every way but I still don't like Win 8 lets hope Win 9 or Win 10 is much user friendly!

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I agree Daniel, Windows 7 I think is a vast improvement on XP. Windows 8 I just cannot get on with that one at all, there is too much of a change for me from the "classic" to the modern version.
At those prices they are charging, although some people would argue about the cost of updating other hardware, I think updating the OS is the way to to go and cheaper in the long run.
The only thing I am not too keen on is a new OS being brought out too regular. I would rather have a good solid OS like Xp and W7 brought out and then updated through service packs than a new seemingly mediocre one brought out every 2 or 3 years.