My anti-virus is up to date so I am protected, right?

• 16 May 2016
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
16 May 2016   By Peter Mackenzie

The world of malware was a lot simpler 20 years ago.

If you had received your monthly floppy disk containing the latest updates to your anti-virus software you could consider yourself relatively safe. (Assuming you actually took the disk out of the envelope and installed it, of course.)

Now we live in a far more complicated world when it comes to cybersecurity.

Nevertheless, I often hear people asking the same questions that they would have asked 20 years ago: “What is the latest software version?” and “What was the last identity file you released?”

I should stress that being on the latest software versions with regular and live updates are an essential part of modern security. The problem I have with those questions is when those are the only ones being asked.
Here is a typical scenario:

Full Article

3 replies

Userlevel 7
The key to this problem is "layer" protection one checks the other.
Userlevel 7
Completely agree, Anthony...as we know nothing is 100% all of the time (not even WSA) and therefore just relying on antivirus applications is not necessarily as afe as it used to be. One should at least invest in anti malware software and preferrably employe the 'layered' approach to protection.
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
Or, in simpler terms: You are the most important layer in a layered security approach.

-Dan