New Android Ransomware Goes Undetected by All Antivirus Programs

• 31 March 2017
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

At the time of discovery, no AV could detect this stealthy ransomware which infected a popular application

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/fitted/340x180/new-android-ransomware-goes-undetected-by-all-antivirus-programs.png

Mar 31, 2017 00:30 GMT  ·  By Gabriela Vatu A new type of Android ransomware was discovered in the wild. What makes this one particularly scary and noteworthy is the fact that no antivirus program has managed to detect it. 

Researchers for Zscaler ThreatLabZ discovered the new ransomware in a popular app called "OK," a Russian entertainment social network apps. The legitimate app that's available in the Google Play Store, with somewhere between 50 and 100 million installs is perfectly clean and does not contain any malicious code. It is the alternative found on third party app stores that is dangerous.

Full Article

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thank you Jasper for this information. I'm just wondering if Webroot would catch this bad one? As the article saids not to install 3rd party apps and to check Adminstrative access on your device.

@ do you have any information if Webroot protects us from this one? 
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
@ wrote:
Thank you Jasper for this information. I'm just wondering if Webroot would catch this bad one? As the article saids not to install 3rd party apps and to check Adminstrative access on your device.

I've passed this on to our Android researchers. If we're not already detecting it, we will be shortly. 

-Dan
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

I've passed this on to our Android researchers. If we're not already detecting it, we will be shortly. 

-Dan
Thank you so much @...much appreciated! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

-Dan
Thank you @ that is good to know.