New CryptXXX Can Evade Detection, Outsmart Decryption Tools

• 27 June 2016
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
They are a persistent bunch in trying to keep ahead of the good guys I will give them that much even though they are a pain.
Remember folks, there has never been a more important time to keep a regular back-up of your data.

By Tom Spring June 27, 2016

The new version of the CryptXXX ransomware is spreading primarily through spam, said Caleb Fenton, senior security researcher at SentinelOne, in a technical description of the find posted Monday.

CryptXXX has been a fast and moving target for researchers, considered by some to be “hot new kid on the block” when it comes to ransomware – even nipping at the heels of the notorious Locky ransomware when it comes to infection rates and distribution. In May cybercriminals released an updated CryptXXX 3.100 version of the ransomware that includes a new StillerX credential-stealing module that gives attackers additional capabilities to monetize an attack.

Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Very well said, Jasper...or better still a full image of your whole disk. I suspect that given the 'populatirt' of ransomware as the tool of choice amongst the miscreants we are more of this for a while yet...mores the pity. :(
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thank you Jasper for the update on this new Ransomeware. I agree a system image is the way to go. It's just plain nasty out there!~:@