New Survey Reveals Most It Pros Still Rely on 'Old Fashioned' Security

• 6 November 2013
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Security company Bit9 yesterday released the findings from their 2013 Server Security Survey, which consisted of 800 IT and security professionals across the world. When viewed through the lens of today's advanced threat landscape, the results are quite troubling. Below are just three of the key findings:

• 55% of security professionals say they're concerned about targeted attacks and data breaches on servers in 2013.
  • 25% of respondents said they 'don't know' if they've been hit by a server attack.
  • 92% of respondents revealed that they still use signature-based antivirus software on their servers.
The combination of the above stats reveals a sobering realization: While the majority of security professionals surveyed say they're concerned about targeted attacks and data breaches, the vast majority of them aren't adequately prepared to defend themselves for those attack and breaches. And that's what a large chunk of today's malware is - targeted, intelligent, evolving. IT and security professionals need to arm themselves with powerful security solutions that can keep up and protect them instantaneously in today's adaptive threat landscape.

You can read the full story, courtesy of Information Age, here.

(Source: Information Age)

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
What kind of hack isn't worried about server breaches? Where do they find these people?

And 75% think their environment is so secure and monitored they can state for a fact they've never had a breach?

Ugh pass me some everclear.
Userlevel 5
It's as they say: Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics
Userlevel 3
........ What's sad is I do believe it to be true. I have come across way to many businesses that somehow thing there server is impenetrable even though as they are talking to it I'm braking through it with my workstation to fix something...... If I have the tools to do so and it only takes me two minutes...... Imagine how fast people planning on causing harm could get through and be undetected? I just hate it when people think they can have ANY a/v and be fine, those same people are the people I see about every two months with yet another infection because there free a/v or there Norton that they bought in 2005 didn't catch it. I can wait to start giving classes where I work, because that's going to he the number one topic, don't think your computer isn't at risk as it is every day, what you do on it to prevent a virus determines how vulnerable you are to it, your antivirus just helps ease the amount of what could get through, it doesn't turn your computer into a tank it just puts the armor there, you still have an engine and tracks to take care of lol.
Userlevel 5
What will be worse is the rise of BYOD where people (read endusers) are in charge of their own security. If the "Professionals" can't get it right, how would the "Masses" fair in all of this?