light bulb

Did You Know?

Highlighted
Topics: 2,202
Kudos: 2,988
Blog Posts: 0

New Type of Mini-Skimmer Found in Europe

By Eduard Kovacs on July 08, 2014

ATM skimming is still a problem in Europe, a not-for-profit organization that specializes in ATM security said in a report published on Friday.

The report from the European ATM Security Team (EAST) is based on information provided by the representatives of 22 countries at the 33rd EAST meeting held at Europol's European Cybercrime Centre (EC3) in June.

Of the 19 Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) and three non-SEPA countries, 18 saw instances of ATM skimming, with six of the respondents reporting increases and four reporting decreases in the number of incidents.

According to EAST, one country reported spotting new types of mini-skimmers that are designed to fit inside an ATM card reader to make them more difficult to detect.

mini-card-skimmer.jpg

SecurityWeek/ Full Read Here/ http://www.securityweek.com/new-type-mini-skimmer-found-europe

Community Leader

Re: New Type of Mini-Skimmer Found in Europe

Would have been a fascinating article if we were able to see a decent picture of the skimmer on a white background rather than grey, and the picture were larger.

It was virtually impossible ti see any detail of the unit.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Good point - that article only has the one photo.  This one has a few more that are a bit larger:

http://gizmodo.com/the-latest-long-life-super-thin-atm-skimmers-are-virtu-1601076751

Hopefully this a little better pic

mini-card-skimmer.jpg

Community Leader

scammers2.jpg

I attempted to take the smaller image which I enlarged and tried to get more detail out of it.

Bob21 wrote:

scammers2.jpg

I attempted to take the smaller image which I enlarged and tried to get more detail out of it.

Welcome to the community Bob 21! Nice to have you!

We will be able to see your image after a moderator approves it. That will be soon!

In the meantime, browse around and enjoy the community!

Check out the Webroot VIP program. When you reach Commuity Guide, you will have the ability to post images bypassing moderator approval. It is a very program.

Come often and share your experiences!

Beth

sig

Experience Shared is Knowledge Shared, Share Yours! I'm a volunteer – my reward is your SMILE!Smiley Very Happy

Helpful Webroot Links:

Submit Trouble Ticket • User Guides • BrightCloud URL lookup • Account Console 

Download (PC) • Download (Best Buy/Geek Squad Subscription) • Download (Walmart and Target) • Download (MSN Subscription) 

Register and Introduce yourself to The Community!

Community Manager

Here's another good article explaining skimming and how to avoid it:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/28/credit-card-skimming-explainer/

Community Manager

Here's an article on the thinnest ATM scanner yet:

An increasing number of ATM skimmers targeting banks and consumers appear to be of the razor-thin insert variety. These card-skimming devices are made to fit snugly and invisibly inside the throat of the card acceptance slot. Here’s a look at a stealthy new model of insert skimmer pulled from a cash machine in southern Europe just this past week.

Full article here.

insert-side-600x192.png

Great article nic ....... the way these hackers are developing these mini skimmer the banks must come up with a better security option to offset this. or ATM may be of the past.

Community Leader

Community Manager

Agreed - at the very least there should be some sort of anti-skim technology on the ATMs to disable or alert you when something has been added to it.