OneDrive for Business accounts used to spread malware

• 22 November 2016
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
22nd November 2016  By Ian Barker

http://betanews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Malware-spy.jpg

Malware purveyors have been making use of cloud services for some time, sending cloud-storage links that host malware to victims is an efficient way for cyber criminals to operate.

In a new twist to the technique, Forcepoint Security Labs has discovered that cybercriminals have been utilizing compromised Microsoft OneDrive for Business accounts to host malware since at least August of this year.
 Criminals are exploiting the 'MySite' feature which allows work-related files to be uploaded and shared, even with external parties. Download links are sent to prospective victims as part of social engineering mass-mailing campaigns.

Full Article

2 replies

Userlevel 7
We have the option to use OneDrive at work but to be honest I am not aware of many co-workers actually using it...but perhaps tha is just where I work. However, if this were to breakout into the private usage sector I think that it could cause more damage.
Userlevel 7
Hmm, Microsoft's OneDrive. :S I wonder if iCloud is safer? I'll still stick to WSA's Backup & Sync, I feel a lot safer with my files. 😉