Online Student Testing System in Kansas Hit with DDOS Attacks

• 5 April 2014
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
At the end of March, just as many students in Kansas were preparing to take tests on the online student testing system known as the Kansas Interactive Testing Engine (KITE), a distributed denial-of-service (DDOS) attack was launched against the servers powering the platform.

According to The Kansas City Star, the first attack was recorded on March 27. A few days later, after everything was restored to normal, a new attack was launched. Students who were taking the tests at the time got error messages or blank screens.

It’s uncertain who is behind the attacks. It wouldn’t be surprising if some students who were supposed to take the test were responsible. However, officials refuse to speculate too much.

“We don’t know if it was two bored teenagers or an anti-testing attack. We have no information,” said Marianne Perie, co-director of the Center for Educational Testing and Evaluation at the University of Kansas, cited by the Kansas City Star. 

Full Article

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Petr

Apologies for pointing it out but Nic has already posted this in a previous thread.  I know this as I was going to post the same article a couple of hours ago...and only serious checking of prior articles posted prevented me from doing so.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Thanks Baldrick

I think that it is better to inform the PM
And I'll be able to delete the message
After your post, I can not do it

Post edited
Userlevel 7
No problem, Petr ;)

With the volume of security news threads that we have it is easy for duplication to occur...as I said I was almost there ahead of you...but luckily managed to spot that it had already been posted...:D

May I suggest that you PM Nic and ask him to combine the two threads...I am sure that he can arrange that.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Baldrick wrote: May I suggest that you PM Nic and ask him to combine the two threads...I am sure that he can arrange that.

I have already changed the post
sorry
Userlevel 7
As I said before, Petr...no problem...hopefully we are all trying to help each other...http://www.emotiyou.com/galerie/films/animation/moi-moche-mechant/minions/201012101744KXQ.gif

Regards

Baldrick