Open trucker comms lets Shodan snoops alter routes, tap CANs buses.

• 8 March 2016
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

New delivery address: my place

8 Mar 2016 at 08:29, Darren Pauli Security researcher Jose Carlos Norte says trucks, buses, and vans using Telematics Gateway Unit are exposed on security-search engine Shodan allowing hackers to alter routes and probe speed and location.

The Barcelona-based eyeOS chief technology officer says thousands of vehicles are exposed over Shodan and can be accessed without any authentication.

Attackers can download a manual to learn how to navigate the devices and access various functions.

The devices are used to manage fleets, and send drivers new shipping routes from base. Geo-fencing can also be established to prevent trucks from wandering off course or being stolen.

Full Article

3 replies

Userlevel 7
This type of attack against vans,trucks and buses is dangerous and needs to be addressed and plugged up quickly.
Userlevel 7
I knew this day would come with all the electronic crap on the big rigs. Computers and electronics have taken the fun out of driving the big rigs. Now they have electronics on the rigs telling the driver when to take a break, out of route, over speed, electronic logging and the list goes on. Thank God I retired just when the electronic logging started. Can't cheat anymore on the logs and make extra $$$. :S Did I just say I cheated on my log books!

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
I knew this day would come with all the electronic crap on the big rigs. Computers and electronics have taken the fun out of driving the big rigs. Now they have electronics on the rigs telling the driver when to take a break, out of route, over speed, electronic logging and the list goes on. Thank God I retired just when the electronic logging started. Can't cheat anymore on the logs and make extra $$$. :S Did I just say I cheated on my log books!

You cheat @ NEVER!!!
Seriously though, everything is changing with computers etc and it is not always for the better either.