Police ransomware scam drives UK teen to suicide

• 26 January 2015
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
For most people, a ransomware infection is not a huge tragedy: they pay the bogus fine (or not), and ultimately get their computer back either because the criminals unlock it or because they clean up the machine themselves.

But for 17-year-old UK schoolboy Joseph Edwards it was the end of the world. The autistic youngster had his computer blocked by the malware downloaded from an email containing a bogus Cheshire Police notice, which said that he visited illegal websites and downloaded images and that he has to pay a £100 fine or risk being prosecuted.

The Telegraph reports that his developmental disorder apparently made him believe this poor attempt at blackmail and panic, and in his distressed state he chose to end his life by hanging himself in the family home.

Full Article

3 replies

Userlevel 7
That's horrible. 

Unfortunately, the writers of that malware don't have a concious so this probably won't bother them.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Now they have innocent blood on their hands and someday they will pay.

I just hope it is sooner than later.

Userlevel 7
I am afraid that whilst I share the sentiment expressed D_J I do not share your optimism.  It is precisely because many sure 'crimes' go unpunished that they continue to be perpetrated.  Until the cause and effects are taken seriously they will continue. :(