Did You Know?

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
nic

Proposed mobile phone and tablet kill switch in California

There's a bill being introduced that would require all mobile phones and tablets to have a kill switch, to discourage theft.  What do you guys think?  Good idea, or ripe for exploitation?  Read more about the proposed bill here.

Please use plain text.
Rakanisheu

Re: Proposed mobile phone and tablet kill switch in California

They have had a similar feature over here in Europe for as long as I can remember. It will stop your phone being used on any network however the phone can be still used offline. Its the type of thing that can be open to abuse though :smileysad: 

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
nic

Good to know.  Has it reduced the incidence of mobile phone theft?

Please use plain text.
Rakanisheu

It has in one way but people will still try to rob iPhones due to the market for them in countries outside the EU where the IMEI ban isnt help up.

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
nic

[ Edited ]

I see, so the device isn't actually bricked, they just ban the IMEI so that it can't be re-used within the region. I think the California bill requires the device be rendered completely non-functional, so it wouldn't matter where you exported it to.

Please use plain text.
Rakanisheu

Yeah back in the day before smartphone`s that was effective as it meant you really couldnt do anything. But now a phone even minus the ability to call can still do a lot. 

Please use plain text.
Baldrick
Topics: 89
Kudos: 1,075
Ideas: 8

You are so right Roy...it is almost a sin to call modern smartphone a 'phone'...in fact in many cases the phone part is not even the reason the phone is bought.

Personally, I think that if it were possible the IMEI switch should go pan region making the phone useless anywhere as a phone...but bricking the phone is dangerous as I know a couple of people who thought their phones had been stolen, repirted it and they were disabled...and then they found they had been misplaced...if they had been bricked where would they have stood?

I think that the ability to trace a device, reprt back its location, lock out all features as is available in some security apps...is the way to go...but that may just be me.

Cheers, Baldrick

Expert Advisor

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete 2014 Beta Tester v8.0.4.70...+ VoodooShield v1.30....working together as the NEW perfect combination!
Please use plain text.