Reg probe bombshell: How we HACKED mobile voicemail without a PIN

• 24 April 2014
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Months after Leveson inquiry, your messages are still not secure

Voicemail inboxes on two UK mobile networks are wide open to being hacked. An investigation by The Register has found that even after Lord Leveson's press ethics inquiry, which delved into the practice of phone hacking, some telcos are not implementing even the most basic level of security.
Your humble correspondent has just listened to the private voicemail of a fellow Reg journalist's phone, accessed the voicemail inbox of a new SIM bought for testing purposes, and the inbox of someone with a SIM issued to police doing anti-terrorist work. I didn’t need to use nor guess the login PIN for any of them; I faced no challenge to authenticate myself.
 There was a lot of brouhaha over some newspapers accessing people's voicemail without permission, but one of the strange things about it all is that at no stage have any fingers been pointed at the mobile phone networks for letting snoops in. And some doors are still open.

Full Article

For those of you who may not have heard about the Leveson inquiry, it was held to investigate phone hacking See here

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I can't believe the telcos haven't done more to fix this loophole.
Userlevel 7
They can hack my voice mail box if they want...all they will find are cold calls about offering to help resolve PPI claims...LOL