Researchers learn Flashback trojan is still infecting Apple computers

• 10 January 2014
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Although Apple has a good reputation for producing computers and other devices that are well-protected against malware, a trojan identified in 2011 is still active and infecting computers, according to a post by Mac security software company Intego.

OSX/Flashback.A, known simply as Flashback, originally popped up on the radar in 2011 and, by 2012, had ensnared up to 650,000 users in a botnet. The trojan is capable of a number of malevolent actions, including stealing data, hijacking search results and installing additional malware.

Apple quickly took measures to eliminate the threat, such as releasing two updates for Mac OS X to correct the vulnerability that was enabling Flashback to spread.

According to a Tuesday post by Arnaud Abbati, an Intego security researcher, the Apple-focused company purchased command-and-control server domain names earlier this year to monitor the Flashback threat. After five days, researchers recorded 22,000 infected machines and 14,248 unique identifiers of the latest Flashback variants, Abbati explained.

Full Topic

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Posted on August 26th, 2014 by Graham Cluley

In early 2012, the biggest Mac malware attack of all time was taking place – catching out at least 600,000 unguarded Mac users around the world, including (to potentially one famous company’s embarrassment) some 274 in Cupertino.
The Flashback malware posed as a bogus installer for Adobe Flash, exploiting a Java vulnerability to infect iMacs and MacBooks.

How Flashback infects Macs

Full Article
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Webrooters!

I haven't much to say except this is an eye opener! 

I do believe I have all the security updates available thus far ..being  a Mac user!:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
@ wrote:
Hello Webrooters!

I do believe I have all the security updates available thus far ..being  a Mac user!:D
That is great Sherry, UNLESS Apple leave their users vulnerable like they did last time, this from the same article:
"Apple, unfortunately, had left Mac users vulnerable for more than six weeks"
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Hello Webrooters!

That is great Sherry, UNLESS Apple leave their users vulnerable like they did last time, this from the same article:
"Apple, unfortunately, had left Mac users vulnerable for more than six weeks"
Aww yes Jasper this article was another great find of yours just to upset the apple cart?:@